New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM Managing non Proliant Computers

SOLVED
Go to solution
bgf
Advisor

HP SIM Managing non Proliant Computers

Hi,

I have a big problem with managing computers with HP System Insight Manager.
I want to add a threshold for disk usage but it does not work:

"Could not set the disk threshold, the agent did not accept the request."

I configured snmp on the computer to be managed (Standard Windows configuration, community string: public: read&write, CMS computer added to the list of trusted computers...

Is there anything else to configure or to install on the computer to be managed?

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

On what kind of servers? You say they aren't Proliant - are they HP?
bgf
Advisor

The computer is a HP Net Server (Pentium 3), with a Standard Windows 2003 Server installation.

Shouldn't HP SIM be able to monitor all type of computers on which SNMP is enabled, or isn't it possible to monitor such PC's?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

HP NetServers need to have the TopTools agent installed. However, the TT agent doesn't support all HP SIM features, such as the secure task function that HP SIM uses to distribute disk thresholds (it is not transmitted via SNMP).
bgf
Advisor

So it is not possible to monitor the disk space of non proliant or comparable systems?

Or are there any other options?
bgf
Advisor

No ideas?
We are searching for a network monitoring solution at the moment and at first the features of HP SIM where quite auspicious (Monitoring heterogeneous environments, easy configuration, etc.).

Isn't there any other documentation than the "HP SIM Windows Installation and Configuration Guide"? Because i can't find all the information (e.g. how to monitor different systems, are agents needed or does SNMP suffice etc. in there).

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards
bgf
Advisor

Please give me some advices, i don't know where I could seek for information concerning this besides the forum here.

Thankx in advance!
Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

Hello

First: I would like to suggest not take usage of the community string public, take any other, maybe using password guidelines. It's just for security reasons.

Second: You never mention about the fact, if Insight agents of any kind are installed.
SIM uses it's own agent, and setting threshold values take usage of Disk Agent.

So you may search for any usable agents (sorry, but I don't know about Insight Agents for other systems than ProLiants.)
Maybe the Client Agents could be a possible solution.

Keep us informed, mabe other user can take advantage of your solution, if one found.

Best Regards
Jimmy

Best regards
bgf
Advisor

I think Insight agents just work with Proliant systems.

As I remember, at the installation of SIM there was the question which systems would be managed.
There was the option "Windows, Other", so I suppose there should be a simple way of performing substantial monitoring tasks on heterogeneous systems (servers and workstations).
bgf
Advisor

Does no one have experiences with monitoring non Proliant Servers?