6219 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM Migration to 2012 R2

Techwiz
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM Migration to 2012 R2

Hi All,

I would like to migrate my existing HP SIM 6.2 installation on windows 2003 server to a Windows 2012 R2 server.

Thinking of installing HPSIM 7.2 on server 2012 R2.Has anyone migrated such a setup ?

please help me with your valuable inputs.

Regards

Techwiz

5 REPLIES 5
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The upgrade from 6.2 to 7.2 is not a supported upgrade. I would do a fresh install, export the objects from the old SIM and import to the new one. You can export with mxnode.exe, this can create a text file to use for populating the new server. Then use the old SIM server if it has credentials like a trust to set a trust for your new SIM server and then do a replicate from the server with 2 trust to your other servers. This way if you have a trust on your new server you csn procede with setting other things like snmp security and traps, VCRM etc...

Kind regards,

Andrew
Techwiz
Occasional Advisor

Hello Andrew,

My intentions here are to have a 2012 R2 server replacing the old 2003 as it is nearing end of life.

As you say 6.2 to 7.2 migration is not possible , do you mean that i will not be able to do a fresh install on a 2012 R2 server and export from 6.2 ? if that is the case , can i install 6.3 or 6.2 on a 2008R2 server and export all the settings from the old server.Does the export include all the discovered server information and the cluster monitoring settings.Does the export exclude anything ? Lastly we are using the HPSIM to monitor the physical servers status and cluser nodes,we dont push firmware or driver updates , would it be a good idea go for fresh install of HPSIM 7.2 on a 2012R2 and start from scratch to add new servers  and start monitoring ? What about the licenses for 7.2 ?

Regards

Techwiz

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

By an upgrade i mean update the old SIM server version directly to 7.2, as i remember 6.3 would update to 7.0 and 7.0 could be updated to 7.2. This would mean that you would have to update with steps. If you than would install a fresh 7.2 on your 2012, shutdown the old SIM server and you would configure the new setup to connect to the old database.

I think that's a lot of work, a clean install, export objects and import to the new server and do a repair and replicate would be the better option. Updating the database has it's risk as i found out the hard way in the past. SIM does not require any licence, some extra features do but SIM core is free. When you export your object you only export the name of the node, no inventory info. I would think that's not a big issue as the SIM server will build-up that info in a few hours as the datacollection job runs after a discovery. With the clean install you have the advantage that you have a running SIM server and there is no time stress, you can finish the new server in your own time. 

If you need more help don't hesitate to ask...

Kind regards,

Andrew
Techwiz
Occasional Advisor

Hi Andrew,

I am trying to use the mxexport utility for the migration on a system with 2003R2 Standard edition installed with 4 GB of RAM.i am running in to the below error.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-::-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-::-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-::-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-::-:-
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-: HP Insight Software Data Export Tool Launcher :-:-:-:-:-:-
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-::-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-::-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-::-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-::-:-

Lookup HPSIM InstallPath (x86)
HPSIM InstallPath: C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager
Lookup succeeded
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/hp/mx/migration/c
li/CLIWrapper
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.hp.mx.migration.cli.CLIWrapper
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
Could not find the main class: com.hp.mx.migration.cli.CLIWrapper. Program will
exit.

i searched and found that increase the value of -Xmx to a higher value in the Mxexport.bat, would eradicate the error,but to no use i was getting the following error after increasing the size.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-: HP Insight Software Data Export Tool Launcher :-:-:-:-:-:-
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Lookup HPSIM InstallPath (x86)
HPSIM InstallPath: C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager
Lookup succeeded
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for object heap
Could not create the Java virtual machine.

i again referred and found that the Globalsettings.prop has to be eidted with a line of JVMMAXHEAP=2048

Still i get the same error.i have tried stopping the HPSIM completely , most of the apppications running on the server ,even increased the RAM from 2 GB to 4GB , since it is 2003 standard ,not able to add more.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Techwiz

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

I always use mxnode -l for a list of objects in SIM. That list can be used for the discovery of the new setup. If you've setup your credentials right in the setup most things should go right.
Kind regards,

Andrew