5426 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM Not Receiving Alerts

AndyJ99
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM Not Receiving Alerts

Hi All
I've been trying to get HP SIM 5.3 to work in our environment without much success. There has been various problems with various machines, such as discovery failing, modules faulting, SNMP stopping etc etc. I have now, after about a week, managed to get to a stage where I have all the insight management agents installed on my servers, I'm using PSP 8.15B. The issue I am having now is that SIM doesn't log any events when I send test traps from my servers via the HP System Management Homepage, it totally ignores all of them. I have run SNMP tools on the SIM server (SNMP Trap Monitor) and I can see the traps getting to the SIM server. I have verified that the SNMP trap service is running and listening on port 162 (UDP) and also SNMP is running. When a server is recycled I receive an event (via email) because I've configured the automatic event handler job to send me emails. However I beleive this is using ping and not SNMP.
I've nearly given up getting this to work so this is my last shot, I'm hoping some of you gurus will be able to help me out. I'm at a loss and cannot think of anything else to do.
I checked the MIB setting on the SIM server and they look like they were all enabled (not exactly sure what these do!)
I have also googled and searched this forum extensively and still cannot find an answer to my problems. I have also downgraded to 5.2 again but still nothing.

Can someone please help a desperate man out :)

Many thanks

AJ

7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You're correct about the server outage detection. When HPSIM polls the servers, if it cannot contact one it generates the alert internally.
A SNMP trap generated by the GUI should generate a Major Event.
If you click on the server name that you generated the trap from, you can see all of the Events associated with that server. If no event is there then the SNMP Trap has not made it to HPSIM.
This process does work so the question is what's unusual about your environment.
Firewalls or other SNMP Listeners redirecting the traps are things to consider. I'd look at what else is installed on the server.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

have you checked your event filter settings, youu probably have but it's not mentioned. snmp set up with the correct read community string ?
if you've reverted back to 5.2 it's not the version and you've verified traps reaching the hp sim server then it's got to be a sim internal setting - it's just finding it :-)

AndyJ99
Occasional Advisor

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback. I am now in a postion where I can get all servers to send test SNMP traps to the SIM Server and I also get an email. So I am getting there. The problem I have now is that if I disable a NIC on one of my servers a trap doesn't seem to get sent. Even if I look in the event log there is nothing to indicate an SNMP trap has been fired and nothing at the SIM server. I'm pretty sure it used to before I started upgrading and messing with version of PSP, why oh why did I have to do that :(. I have actually re-installed SIM on a new machine, I figured something was up with the other one which stopped it from working but I still have issues, although different ones. There are no internal firewalls in the environment and the machines don't run windows firewall. I have been trying to get this thing to work for ages. It seems overly complex to me, some things work on some servers and others just refuse to install.
I dont need to install and configure the event notifier do I? I figured that was used if you dont use SIM server.
Any other thoughts on this, do I need to configure anything using the HP Management Agents applet?
Also are there any other solutions that I can use to monitor for HP Hardware events?

Many thanks

Still a desperate man!

AJ
AndyJ99
Occasional Advisor

Ok, so now I can actually see some SNMP traps being sent to the console for example whenever I recycle the SNMP service on the SIM Server I receive a Power Supply Failed event error. Why does this happen whenever I recycle the service? I would of thought I would only see a trap event when the actual event happened, SNMP seems to of stored these events.
Also I'm now assuming that by going into control panel/networks and then right clicking a NIC and selecting disable is not supposed to generate a trap event, can someone confirm this?
Many thanks
AJ
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Disabling a NIC is a legitimate action. No trap would be sent. If the cable was pulled and the active link lost connectivity then you should see an event generated.
AndyJ99
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Rob. Can you tell me if its best to use WEBM or SNMP?
Thanks
AJ
AndyJ99
Occasional Advisor

OK backward step again - I actually had someone just pull the NIC cable out of a server and I didn't receive anything at the SIM Server. Looking at the event log on the server that the cable was pulled from didn't show any evidence of an SNMP trap message being sent. It's clear from the log that the cable was pulled and redundancy was lost.
SNMP test traps are succesfully sent from this server. Anything else I can test/try?
please............

Thanks
AJ