Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748285 Members
3869 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-SIM PUBLIC/PRIVATE VLAN situation

Jeff Spinks

HP-SIM PUBLIC/PRIVATE VLAN situation

First a little background on the situation.

We are currently trying to set up monitoring structures for a new project. The setup is 2 servers (1 cold backup) are the "brains" for the entire system. They have access to the private vlan, which is where the vendor solution sits, and the public vlan. The rest of the servers are sitting in the private vlan, which are pxe booted from the "brain" servers with only NFS mounted directories. No local hard drives.

The "brain" servers have HP-SIM agents already installed/configured. The Insight Server sits on the public VLAN. We would like to explore the possiblities of populating the other servers with the HP-SIM agents. A couple of things to keep in mind.

1. The servers are not sitting on the public accessible VLAN, however, their iLO cards are plugged into the public VLAN. I don't know if that makes any difference.

2. The servers are being PXE booted from the "brains", with no mounted hdd.

Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Your best solution would be for the HP SIM server to sit on both the public and private VLANs. iLO can proxy SNMP traffic to and from the hosts, but SNMP is a very small part of what HP SIM does today; a large part of the functionality is now secure HTTP and other secure protocols.
Jeff Spinks

Ideally, that would be the perfect fix. However, I forgot to mention that this is but one of many simalar setups that will be spread accross a WAN. Each of the private VLANs will be specific for that location, built the same way as I mentioned above, but not accessible to the other locations. The public VLAN will be accessible by all on the public VLAN, regardless of location in the WAN.

I hope this helps to clarify and not confuse.

Thanks!