6578 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM Ports

KarimK
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM Ports

Hi

Could someone provide me with a list of definetive ports required for the HP SIM agents to talk to the CMS as the docs are not that clear.. Also are they bi-direcional ports?

Many Thanks,

Karim
7 REPLIES 7
Michigan Dave
Advisor

If you're using snmp, it's just port 161 and 162. In the snmp settings on the remote server (not CMS), snmp must be configured to communicate with either all hosts or the CMS and itself.

Post again if this doesn't answer your question.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

See "Understanding HP SIM Security" from http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library. There's a comprehensive list.
KarimK
Frequent Advisor

SNMP ports are already open through the DMZ but the host are appearing as unmanaged in the CMS console.

Karim
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Unmanaged means that HPSIM has not been able to detect any protocol. That would indicate that it's not getting through with SNMP.

If it was "Unknown" then that would indicate it had discovered a protocol but then didn't have access using that protocol.

There are a few snmp utilities around, you could try using one of those from the HPSIM Server to try and access snmp on the server in the dmz.
KarimK
Frequent Advisor

Ahh...

But i can send a test trap from the Management Agents and it is recivied by the CMS server and forwards an email to me.

I have also run wireshark and i can see the SNMP packets being recived by the CMS server?

Karim
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If HP SIM doesn't have a valid read community string for the device, then the device won't respond to HP SIM's request for an SNMP GET and therefore will flag it unmanaged. That does not affect the ability to send a trap and have it received by HP SIM.

You can use 'Configure or Repair Agents' in HP SIM to correct any mismatched communications configurations.
KarimK
Frequent Advisor

Community strings are all set corrcetly, would the fact that it's going through a firewall make any diffrence?