5629 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SIM - Real Capabilities?

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

HP SIM - Real Capabilities?

Hi All,

My client needs to know what all "HP SIM" can do (out-of-box) if they install it in their environment

Client is looking for all possible areas where they can use it?

Can someone share their experience on its powerful capabilities?

After reading online docs, I came to know that If i run "HP SIM setup", it can do "hardware level alert monitoring" of all supported HP devices

I'm not sure if it deploys software or firmware on managed systems (out-of-box), if it can provide warranty and license information (out-of-box) or any other function it can perform?

4 REPLIES 4
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP SIM - Real Capabilities?

About HPSIM:

1) Discovery and Identification: This is identifying a node with a IP address and the associated attributes like Server Model, OS Name, OS Version Installed, Sub Type, Serial Number and Supported Protocols.

2) Monitoring the devices for any failure using SNMP Traps and WBEM Indications

3) Inventory Management

4) Alert for Failure using Action On Events (SMS, Email, Page, Run a task etc)

5) Software / Firmware Update using VCRM

6) Maintains a Host to Guest relationship in case of Hyperv and ESX

7) Software Firmware Baselining.

8) Status Polling for different Software / Hardware component status.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

Thanks Tushar

Point 2 - In which case i will get data from SNMP traps & WBEM indication ?
Point 3 - Can i get inventory report of the device of old date, say 30 day old? Or it only shows you the current inventory?
Point 5 - Is it a out-of-box functionality of HP SIM?
Point 7 - What is this function?
Point 8 - Do one really need it? Is it a automatic function of HP SIM which will poll for s/w & h/w status of a device on a pre scheduled time?

Have we missed any other important functionality in terms of out-of-box capabilities of HP SIM?

Regards
Alex_Vereschak
Visitor

Point 3 - I think you can compare the old and new configuration of server with the HP Insight Diagnostics

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Point 2 - In which case i will get data from SNMP traps & WBEM indication ?

Tushar - Depends what agent support is on the system, WBEM Agents or SNMP Agents plus user has to subscribe to the events (Traps or Indication)

Point 3 - Can i get inventory report of the device of old date, say 30 day old? Or it only shows you the current inventory?

Tushar - It is the current state of the device, Can check enhenced reports if there is any such reports (for Older Date). I nt aware of that.

Point 5 - Is it a out-of-box functionality of HP SIM?

Tushar - Yes, this is  a separate plugin to HPSIM, and it is free.

Point 7 - What is this function?

In a Datacenter, there are many devices with different firmware and software, and no admins whats that. Ideally they should be same. Using this Admin can set the desired level for Software / firmware version. Admin will be alert of the system which are not complying to the set level (baseline).

Point 8 - Do one really need it? Is it a automatic function of HP SIM which will poll for s/w & h/w status of a device on a pre scheduled time?

Tushar - Yes, very much, it is scheduled task which run every 5 mins. by default. It capture real time state of the component (disk, memory, etc).

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee