Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752290 Members
4819 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM Server locking account

Peter H Scott

HP SIM Server locking account

I made the mistake of installing HP SIM with my domain admin account. The password changed and several times a minute, every minute, the HP SIM server attempts to use the old credentials, easily tripping our Domain account lockout settings. I have searched the settings and registry to no avail and cannot figure out how/where it is caching the user ID and password. It has been configured to run with a dedicated service account everywhere I can find a user ID/password. Please help!
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM Server locking account

See the pdf file:
http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim-5-changing-the-SystemName.pdf
This covers changing the password as well. You might also want to ensure it's not been set in the global wbem credentials.
Peter H Scott

Sorry, no joy. That had no impact. Since the HP SIM service is up and running fine, I don't believe it is that service that is causing the problem. I am doing down the list of services disabling them one by one and seeing if I can determine which one is locking out the account. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

mxpassword -g to change/modify password in HPSIM cache. mxpassword command will be in "programfiles\HP\\bin"
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

dont forget to restart HPSIM service after above command.
Peter H Scott

I tried that too and it didn't make any difference. I stopped every single service related to HP SIM and the account still gets locked. I am going to have to try un-installing everything and seeing if I can find it.
Paula Nelsen

I had a similar issue when I had to remove and re-install SIM. While I didn't actually change the password, I changed the "case" in the username and this seemed to throw things off.

After verifying the same username/password were correct/same in all locations (including case); I was able to resolve the issue by regenerating the nodesecurity.xml file.

Instructions are found in this HP Support doc: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00760083&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Peter H Scott

Finally ran it down. Turned out to be a 3rd party utility misbehaving itself. The issue is resolved even though I still don't know where this normally benign utility was getting my old user name and password. Thanks for the replies!
Peter H Scott

As per above note, wasn't HP SIM related.