108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM - VCRM Automatic Update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ali_21
Advisor

HP SIM - VCRM Automatic Update

According to the Version Control Repository Manager 2.0.1.30 help files, the Automatic Update function downloads software from Hewlett-Packard based on the operating systems of Version Control Agents which are configured to use this Version Control Repository Manager for status and software updates.

If no Version Control Agents are configured to use the Version Control Repository Manager, no software is downloaded. If something is downloaded that does not apply to your environment, e.g., certain ROM components, use the Delete feature of the Version Control Repository Manager to remove it from the system and catalog.

My question is:
Is the Automatic Update function intelligent enough to recognise the software components (e.g. RILO/BIOS Firmware, Smart Array Driver) installed on my ProLiant Servers and download the necessary updates for those?

Or will it download loads of software that does not apply to my environment, e.g., certain ROM components?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Pat Wilson
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: HP SIM - VCRM Automatic Update

When the Version Control Repository Manager (VCRM) is setup, you are prompted for the OS version, and the Support pack version. The VCRM will automatically download any updates from HP appropriate within those two parameters. This means, it will download from HP to the VCRM, and incorporate into its catalogue of available drivers/files for all HP/Compaq systems. The VCRM knows nothing about the specific drivers, ROM components, etc. for your specific environment. The VCRM simply acts a central repository local to your site instead of each client going over the internet to HP. (Think of the Microsoft Windowsupdate site...)

When a Support pack is pushed to a client (via the VCAgent), ALL the files appropriate to that OS and Support Pack version are sent to the client. The VCAgent loads each file, determines if it appropriate for that particular client, and either attempts the install (if required), or ignores the file (eg the Fiber Controller driver won't be loaded on a system that doesn't have a Fiber Controller installed).

So, yes, the VCRM downloads 'extra' files that you might not need in your particular envorinment, but unless it is an entire support pack (eg you downloaded the Japanese verion when all you need is English), it only takes a little extra space on the VCRM - and none on the client(s).

Is this what you are asking?
Ali_21
Advisor

Thanks Pat, appreciate it.

I do understand the Automatic Update process much better now.

Fabrizio Maggioni_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

I am working in a secure environment without fully internet access.

Can you provide me the URL that VCRM needed to automaticaly download PSP package?

Thanks.
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Maggioni_2
Super Advisor

I have found it:

www.hp.com/servers/swdrivers

Regards,
Fabrizio