Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752505 Members
5312 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM / VCRM / VCA - Software Status Unknown (VCA-VCRM communication issues)

SOLVED
Go to solution
CJPerez
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM / VCRM / VCA - Software Status Unknown (VCA-VCRM communication issues)

Hi there,

I have the following platform installed HP SIM:

VMWare Virtual Server:

SO_ver

HP SIM Version:

HPSIM_Version

HP VCRM:

VCRM version

HP VCRM is "Trusted" and I can access the content.

trusted

VCRM_Contents

On the client side, for instance, I have a HP DL308 G7 with HP SMH 7.3.3.1 and 7.3.2.0 VCA. From the SMH \ VCA agent connects to the VCRM by certificate, assigned the baseline and reports the software without problems:

Local_VCA_Status

In HP SIM, I have assigned the baseline for the server. For now, all right. The problem comes when I try to view the status of the software I listed as "unknown status".

SIM_Status

In the server properties in the section "Software / Firmware Baselines" does not show the columns of "Support Pack Version" nor the "Latest Version":

report_software

In the section "Manage Communications" shows the following error:

VCA_Status

msg_error

Any Idea?

10 REPLIES 10
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM / VCRM / VCA - Software Status Unknown (VCA-VCRM communication issues)

Hello there,

You also have to set the baseline in SIM.  Choose Deploy from the menu and select Manage Software/Firmware baselines.

Here you have to choose the VCRM repository on the top right. Now you can see the baselines you have defined in your VCRM. Now that you see your baselines you can add servers to the baselines. Choose the servers save them and wait till you see a status icon before your baseline. Now the baseline is set for the servers you selected.

Kind regards,

Andrew
CJPerez
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, I forgot to add that info. In HP SIM are assigned the Baselines:

Baseline.JPG

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

The SW button is blue, did you reboot your SIM server ? Or if that is not an option you could try to restart the VCRM and Insight Manager service. I'm afraid that i have some server that also have the blue button. Some servers are green and some are blue. That would indicate that this could be an bug.

The system itself is discovered correct if you look at the screenshot at Installed Version. You could try to delete the system from SIM rediscover add it to the baseline and see. So as you can read not a rocksolid solution but you could give it a try.

One thing i saw in my config that if you add a server to the baseline you should wait a wile after the save and see if the server gets added. Did you add other servers that do work ? 

If you look at the screenshot i atached you can see a baseline, if i click on the view assigned Systems i see the server i just added, you you also see this in your setup?

Kind regards,

Andrew
CJPerez
Occasional Advisor

I'm afraid that right now reboot the server is not an option, since they lose access to the VCRM from HP SIM for 3-4 h that it takes to check the catalog.
VCRM_Catalog.JPG

During the checking of the catalog, any action on the Baselines, gives error because VCRM this busy server.

Test delete server and rediscover it already have done it in a couple of occasions.

The server where our data is an example. I have this problem with all servers.

I do not see the screenshot that you have attached, but if, in the view by Baselines see the assigned servers. all my servers, are assigned to the same baseline.

On the other hand what seems to me to be more suspicious is, although I have evidence of communication between the VCA and the VCRM, connectivity testing from HP SIM indicating me that there isn't.
vcrm_report.JPG

Regards
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

How many baselines do you have loaded ? Is the auto download on in the VCRM ? I would recomend to manualy download the SPP's you need. This should help on the time it takes to run the catalog on the VCRM .

Kind regards,

Andrew
CJPerez
Occasional Advisor

I have 9 Basselines in VCRM.

Yes, i have autoupdate activated.
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

I've disabled the autodownload feature and upload a max of 3 baselines by hand. This way you keep control of what gets in the repository. Could be an option for you ??

Kind regards,

Andrew
CJPerez
Occasional Advisor

I have disabled the VCRM automatic updates.
I have updated the latest hotfixes from HP SIM.
now is checking the repository. When finished I will try cleaning the repository and allow the minimum possible software.
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello agsin,

You could also switch the directory the VCRM looks in unpack a SPP and see what happens. If needed unpack a second SPP.

This way you can switch between the repositories.

Kind regards,

Andrew