4481 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM - Virtual Machine Management Pack

shocko
Honored Contributor

HP SIM - Virtual Machine Management Pack

Hi,

Just wondering if its possible to monitor GUEST VM disk space usage with VMM?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
4 REPLIES 4
Peter Boguszewski
Occasional Visitor

I am also trying to figure this out.  We are looking at WBEM, snmp, WMI but have not figured out how to fit everything together.  If anyone is doing this - please help.

shocko
Honored Contributor

The insight snmp agents or wbem providers will not install on a VM so natively, SIM cannot monitor the disk space. You can use the Insight Control Virtual Machine management pack which when installed on the SIM server, can make remote API calls to the ESX/vCenter servers directly and monitor certain thresholds. I was just wondering if it could monitor the guest disk space so I might install a trial and evaluate I. Just thought someone on here might have experience with it and save me the hassle :)

Alternatively, there are numerous other tools such as SCOM/Veam to do this but obviously you must pay for this. At the moment I'm just querying them use agentless scom or in places, a vbscript/powershell script to connect to WMI and grab disk space.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Steve T Griffiths
Occasional Visitor

I've been using the free version of the Netwrix disk space monitor tool, that will monitor up to 10 servers, more if you licence it.

This is proving quite useful, and sends the team an email once per day for any servers that hit a 10% disk space left threshhold (configurable). This works for us, although I suspect we may licence it as we would like to monitor more than 10 servers per instance :)

Change_happens
Honored Contributor

yes VMM does monitor/manage memory, cpu, harddisk etc for host and guest. i am using it.