7421 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM & HP MSA2000 SNMP event severity change

iqbal7000
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM & HP MSA2000 SNMP event severity change

Hi

I receive SNMP traps of HP MSA2000 storage in my HP-SIM.

But I want to change the particular event's severity ticket

For Example: See the below Event

"Event Code # 58 : Disk Detected Error."

Above generated event's severity ticket is "INFORMATIONAL" . But I want to change this event's severity to "WARNING" in my SNMP trapping monitor (i.e. HP-SIM)

I need to track all the events received in HP-SIM by their code (event code)&
set the severity ticket on my own, so that the changed severity ticket will be displayed in HP-SIM

So how should i change the MIB file to obtain the above result.
or is there any other way to do the above.

I already have the below doc
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1378899

Iqbal
4 REPLIES 4
pmlb
Frequent Advisor

Hi Iqbal,

Did you try Options->Events->SNMP Trap Settings...?

If you manage to find your trap in the list you should be able to modify the Severity.

Hth,
Pierre-Marie
iqbal7000
Occasional Advisor

Hi Pierre-Marie

Thanks very much for your reply.

I could able to change the severity from one form to other form. (that is, i change the all "INFORMATIONAL" events severity to "CRITICAL" or "WARNING" etc)

I dont want to do above.

I need to change particular event's severity
U can see the above same example.

"Event Code # 58 : Disk Detected Error."
Above generated event's severity ticket is "INFORMATIONAL" . But I want to change this event's severity to "WARNING" in my SNMP trapping monitor (i.e. HP-SIM)

So if i receive the above event in my HP SIM , the severity must "WARNING"

Pls help me to achieve the above.
Iam very desperate to achieve above.

I dont know how to interpret & change the msa2000trap.mib file to achieve the above result.

Awaiting your reply

Iqbal
pmlb
Frequent Advisor

Hi Iqbal,

I had a look to the msa2000traps.mib file.

What I understand is that the msa2000 equipment can generate only 4 types of trap :

- msaEventInfoTrap
- msaEventWarningTrap
- msaEventErrorTrap
- msaEventCriticalTrap

each trap type is sent with 3 arguments (event id, type of event and description) and each trap type is assigned a severity (INFORMATIONAL, MINOR, MAJOR, CRITICAL).

It's the equipment (the msa controller, firmware or whatever) which decides what kind of trap to generate when something happens. You cannot change this behaviour. Modifying the mib file cannot help. The mib file is just the key to decode what is sent by the equipment.

So, when an event ID 58 occurs, HP SIM will receive a msaEventInfoTrap, there's nothing you can do about this.

You can change the severity for this trap in HP SIM, but as it is a generic trap, all events of that type will show the severity change.

What you could do is to leave the severity to informational and create an Automatic Event Handling task for Informational Storage Event sent by your msa to process these traps and perform appropriate actions when the event ID is 58. I never tried this so I can't tell you how the information is transmitted either by mail or to the custom tool.

Hth,
Pierre-Marie
Dan Pyper
Occasional Advisor

There is an MSA2000 White Paper that provides Use Case examples of the SNMP Trap content.

Comparing features and functions of SNMP and SMI-S in an MSA2000 environment

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA2-8894ENW.pdf

Go read use case #18 c.

This use case example will provide you with the bare view of the MSA2000 SNMP trap content.