108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM & VMWare ESX 3 Not Updating

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sergei Sherbin
Advisor

HP SIM & VMWare ESX 3 Not Updating

I just installed the HP SIM Agent on a VMWare ESX 3.0.1 host server. I unzipped hpmgmt-7.7.0-vmware3x.tgz file, copied the smhpd.xml and (customized) hpmgmt.conf file to the /770 folder and then as root ran...
./installvm770.sh --silent --inputfile hpmgmt.conf

The installation seemed to go ok and I have added (through discovery) the vmhost to my HP SIM Management Console. The problem is the SIM console isn't getting any data from the agent. Also, when I connect to the vm host's SIM Homepage, the only real data is the system name, description and IP address. I'm not getting any updates on the server's status or configurations. I'm not sure if the SNMP settings were correctly installed but the security information seems to have been imported OK from the smhpd.xml file.

Anyone have any suggestions in troubleshooting this problem?
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP SIM & VMWare ESX 3 Not Updating

Sergei,
You might want to look at the following thread as it discusses snmp settings, the most likely issue.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1116744
You can edit the snmpd.conf file directly to make the changes you want.

Like with the agents for Windows, you should be able to login to the agents directly - needs the trust set up. Once it all seems okay you'll want to run an Identification task.
Sergei Sherbin
Advisor

thanks, Rob. I'll give it a shot.
Sergei Sherbin
Advisor

reconfigured /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file to reflect enterprise and vm host is reporting system information OK.
Thanks, again Rob!