New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM & clusters

SOLVED
Go to solution
OldDog
Occasional Contributor

HP SIM & clusters

Hi,

Just installed HP Sim 5.2 on a ESX Client running Win2003. I gave it a host file with all my servers and it discovered them all. However, we do have One MS Cluster. It discovered the Cluster and one of the clients. It does not know that this is a Cluster. How do I get SIM to recocgnize this cluster?
7 REPLIES 7
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

Make sure that you have the Insight Management Agents installed on all the nodes of the cluster and make sure that the cluster agent is part of the active agents.
Bernd Theobalt
Advisor

Check that the cluster information agent is enabled in Control Panel -> HP Management Agents. For proper view of the cluster in HP-SIM it is necessary ONLY to scan the cluster alias and the physical node IP-adresses. NEVER put IP-adresses of cluster resources (disk, printers, ..) in the scan range. If you do this, your cluster nodes names in the HP-SIM will change to a resource name, and will change again if a new resource become online on that particluar node. If you have done this and have seen that behavior, delete all the cluster members in HP-SIM and rescan them again. I got the feedback of several customers that this works.

Best regards,

Bernd
OldDog
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the responses. I have three IP address in my host file for the cluster. Node 1, Node 2 and the cluster itself. SIM only shows node 2 and the Cluster. Node 1 being the active node.

What is this "cluster agent" of which you speak? And where might I find it?

OldDog
Bernd Theobalt
Advisor

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> HP Management Agents. Check, that the Clustering Information is on the left side (active agents). Restart all agents, the easiest way is to change Data collection intervall in SNMP Settings to a different value. Also check that the security setting of the snmp service is enabled for any host, or if you will have more security, for the HP-SIM server and localhost only. Check, that the snmp read community of the cluster nodes and the HP-SIM server is equal. To setup a new node for HP-SIM, please use Configure -> Configure and repair Agents of HP-SIM GUI and provide all the needed information.

Best regards,

Bernd
OldDog
Occasional Contributor

Maybe we have found the problem. When I go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel. There is NO "HP Management Agents" to select. Not there! I am running this Cluster on Win 2003 Enterprise Edition. They are running on VMware Virtual Platform. PSP ver 8.11a
Bernd Theobalt
Advisor
Solution

Nodes in VM have no physical Hardware, therefor no Insight Agent can monitor the hardware. Normaly you have to install the Insight Agents and the SMH on the VM host. If you have installed (and licensed) the VMM (Virtual Machine Management Pack), you will see the VM clients proper in HP-SIM (as VM clients in host xxxx).
HP-SIM is basicly designt for hardware monitoring. VM clients not need any monitoring, exept VCA (may be).

Best regards

Bernd
OldDog
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help. I have not worked that much with virtual hosts.