Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753259 Members
5656 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM and VMware License Issue (Please help!!)

damonique
Occasional Contributor

HP SIM and VMware License Issue (Please help!!)

Hello All.

One of the issues I am facing is, Essentially all licenses that we have are not showing correctly to be applied to the servers which results in us not being able to manage our VM environment completely. Any documents or best practices on how HP SIM and VMware licensing works, how to apply the licenses correctly?

Second Issue, Also, any help in finding the "missing" licenses would be appreciated. I wasnt able to find a document that mentioned that once licenses were applied that they were then used up and no longer available even if the device was no longer used. Any chance one of you can dig that doc up again and send it to us since it may show some of the ins & outs of what may be going on here?
2 REPLIES 2
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM and VMware License Issue (Please help!!)

Which VMWare licenses? Are you talking about VMM which is the HPSIM add-on?

What versions etc? HPSIM? VMM?

Some licenses are indeed host specific, I'm not too sure if VMM falls into this category or not, PMP certainly does.

License Management is under Deploy -> License Manager. You should be able to see any VMM licenses that have been loaded listed there.
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP SIM and VMware License Issue (Please help!!)

To get this working properly, I had to manually enter serial numbers for each of my ESX servers, and also make sure the system type and OS were set up properly. Only after all these things were in place were we able to properly deploy the license and have it recognized.

Here is an example of how we had to set it up:

System Type Server
System Subtype Virtual Machine Host, VMware ESX Host
Product Model ProLiant BL465c G1
OS Name VMWare ESX Server 3.0.1
OS For Tool Filtering LINUX
Management Protocols SNMP:1.0, SSH:SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2

Once all that stuff is in place (don't forget the serial number!), then you can install the VMM agent and do Deploy >> License manager.