4823 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM cannot identify Dell systems or receive snmp traps

Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM cannot identify Dell systems or receive snmp traps

Greetings folks:

We have managed to get HP SIM installed, and it's playing nicely with our HP servers running Linux. I'm able to receive snmp traps and the systems are being identified correctly in the SIM software.

Where I'm having trouble is getting our Linux Dell systems to be recognized properly. Our local HP techs are all Windows guys so they are not really familiar with setting this up on Linux. I used Niven Brooks' document as a guideline to try and set this up:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/Integrating_PowerEdge_Servers_into_HPSIM50.pdf

Unfortunately this document is directed toward Windows servers and does not have any specific advice for configuring a Linux box.

I was able to compile the Dell MIBs according to the instructions in that document, but when I try to configure the MIB on the "Manage System Types" page of SIM, I get the following error after attempting to retrieve Object Value from the system:

Could not retrieve this object identifier from the target system.

Cause: The request timed out, or the community string is incorrect, or there is no agent for this object identifier.

Resolution: Make sure that the target name or IP address are correct, the target is running an SNMP agent corresponding to this identifier and is configured to respond to this community string.

I know snmp is working on this box, because I can do a "snmpwalk -c communityname hostname" on it and I get a ton of output.

Is there anyone else here who's gotten Dell systems to properly report snmp traps to their HP SIM server? If so, how did you do it?
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

My best guess is that Dell is not using the same agents for Linux. In HP SIM, enable 'Receive Unregistered MIBs' and see what happens. You should get the raw MIB data, and then can match it up with the MIB. I'm going to bet that the Dell MIB doesn't match up with the MIB data they are sending.
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks David, I am now receiving a generic trap:

Enterprise OID String. 1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.4
Generic Trap ID. 6
Specific Trap ID. 2

How can I match this up with the Dell MIB that I compiled earlier? Are there multiple versions of Dell's 10892 MIB?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You're going to need to do some Googlin' and noodlin' on this one. 1.3.6.1.4.1.8072 is part of the Net-SNMP Enterprise OID. Looks like instead of supply some agents for Linux they're just using some generic Net-SNMP code. That means that their Linux 'agent' doesn't match their Windows agent. Cruise around the net, and you may need to get some Net-SNMP MIBs to solve your problem.
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

I added this line to /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf and it works fine now:

smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1

Hope this helps someone else in the future.
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

Closing thread.