108758 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SIM - changing the password of service account

SOLVED
Go to solution
sknickhp
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM - changing the password of service account

Hey guys, not sure there's a lot of activity here these days but I'll ask for help anyways

Windows Server 2012 R2

HP SIM 7.6 (11/2021 hotfix installed)

Local SQL database

Due to security requirements, we had to change the password on the service account used to install SIM.  Going from a short unchanging password without special characters, to a long random password with special characters changing monthly.

I'm trying to script the process for password change on command line, here is what I'm doing:

# Stop all services
hpsim stop
NET STOP MSSQLSERVER
NET STOP SQLBrowser
NET STOP SQLWriter
NET STOP OpenSSHd
NET STOP "WMI Mapper"
NET STOP WbemConsumer

set /p pass1="Enter new password: "

mxpassword -m -x MxDBUserPassword="%pass1%"

sc.exe config "MSSQLSERVER" obj="DOMAIN\svc-user" password="%pass1%"
sc.exe config "OpenSSHd" obj="DOMAIN\svc-user" password="%pass1%"
sc.exe config "HP Systems Insight Manager" obj="DOMAIN\svc-user" password="%pass1%"

NET START MSSQLSERVER
NET START SQLBrowser
NET START SQLWriter

NET START OpenSSHd
NET START "WMI Mapper"
NET START WbemConsumer

hpsim start

What happens is, as soon as the services are started back up after the password change, the service account gets locked out.  SIM "works" initially...I can logon to the webserver, etc, but it causes problems because the service account is seeing failed logons & getting locked out over & over all day long.

Is there somewhere/something I'm missing?  I've done this multiple times, copy/paste the password both into the script & into the GUI items (mxpassword -g & services) & it happens in both cases.   My only assumption is that the old password exists somewhere that I'm not aware of & that is causing the lockouts.

I have a second SIM server, and 2 Dell OME servers that also use the same service account.  I've stopped all services on all other servers for testing, so that I know it is the SIM server I'm currently working on that is locking out...& it does it basically as soon as SIM is restarted.

I've received logs from domain controller which show that the server I'm currently working on has logon failures in clusters of 5 every 30 minutes or so all day long.

The only other thing I could think of is changing the password for SQL Express somehow, but I haven't been able to get the syntax right (if it is even necessary).  I'm probably weakest with SQL.

sqlcmd -S HOSTNAME\MSSQLSERVER -q "ALTER LOGIN sa WITH PASSWORD='%pass1%'"

^ That is what I was trying, but it fails.

If anyone manages to see this before I figure it out & can help, thank you very much!

3 REPLIES 3
support_s
System Recommended

Query: HP SIM - changing the password of service account

System recommended content:

1. HP Systems Insight Manager 5.0 (SIM) - Password Change Of The SIM Account In An Account Lockout

2. Changing the HP SIM V5.x system name and password (5983-1650, January 2007)

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

sknickhp
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: Query: HP SIM - changing the password of service account

Thanks!  I think I reviewed those previously, & they didn't help unfortunately.

I found this shortly after I posted, which refers to SIM 6.3

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03093835&docLocale=en_US

Reconfiguring the CMS passwords:

The mxreconfig -m password command prompts the user for a new password and changes the credentials configured and used by Insight software. The mxreconfig –m password command realigns the HP Insight software service account credentials with the operating system password after the operating system password is changed by other operating system tools. If the user that installed Systems Insight Manager on the CMS changes the Windows logon password, then that user must also run this command to make all the passwords used by the Insight software services match the new operating system password.

When this command is run, the new password is typed and confirmed, all Systems Insight Manager partner services are stopped in preparation.

The password entered is then updated on services that are configured to run using the installing user's credentials. Services running as local system will not be changed. Stored credentials in Systems Insight Manager for accessing the CMS are also updated.

So far it looks like this command is doing the trick, although I did have to run this command after to get SIM back online.  So far the account is no longer locking out shortly after SIM starts.

mxinitconfig -a

Parvez_Admin
Community Manager

Re: Query: HP SIM - changing the password of service account

@sknickhp ,

Glad to hear that it is working now.

Thanks,
Parvez_Admin
I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
CM_Cert_Logo_Color.png