108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM e-mail problems...Windows version 5

SOLVED
Go to solution
aaronorchardco.com
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM e-mail problems...Windows version 5

I recently installed HP SIM and have setup quite a few servers for monitoring. The console reports events accurately, critical, warning, etc. However these events never get reported through e-mail. I've double checked the automatic event handler settings as well as the smtp server settings, everything appears to be in order. Is this a known issue or possibly a quick fix? No e-mail goes out from SIM. I've setup SIM before quite a few times for other companies and have never had this problem, any help would be much appreciated.

thx
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Check the SMTP Server will accept requests from the Server HPSIM is installed on.

Quickest way is to just telnet to the SMTP Server using port 25 in the request rather than the default telnet port.

The SMTP Server should answer and you should be able to initiate a dialogue (e.g. enter HELO)

If you get a rejection there's the problem.
aaronorchardco.com
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the reply.

I've already checked the problem layer by layer, I'm pretty sure it's SIM.

The smtp server responds, I've bounced mail off of it as well.
aaronorchardco.com
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the reply.

I've already checked the problem layer by layer, I'm pretty sure it's SIM.

The smtp server responds. I've bounced mail off of it as well.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I don't know of any known problems with the e-mail interface. Works here fine conencting to MS Exchange.
What is your e-mail server?

In your SMTP Settings on HPSIM, do you use a FQDN?
aaronorchardco.com
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again for the reply.

We use MS Exchange, Sendmail, and a SCO box along with some proxy stuff. I've tried different servers. Right now I have it using an ISP provided server. This will be the final resting place, but we have tried our own servers.

When trying our controlled SMTP servers there is nothing entering our queues so SIM doesn't appear to be forwarding the message.

I guess I will just reinstall or try to repair the installation. Is a repair possible with the SIM installer?
aaronorchardco.com
Occasional Advisor

yes on the FQDN.
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Aaron,

Going to:
Options -> Events -> Automatic Event Handling -> Manage Tasks

Then choosing a task which is set to email and has run at some point, clicking Task Results and viewing one of the instances, is there any reported errors for the send email action? Or does this report that it was completed successfully?
aaronorchardco.com
Occasional Advisor

Was a bad character in the CC line that failed the task. You would think it could still send using the To: field.

Thanks craigmck for the interface tip.