New Discussion

Re: HP SIM email configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM email configuration

Hi all,

HP SIM 7.2.0 running on a Microsoft 2008 R2 VM. We are monitoring a couple of critical IP addresses, setting alerts for any type of event. Here's the problem/question. If we send email to a group/alias in Microsoft Outlook, the email gets thru to all recipients. However, if we try to send an "email" to a smart phone ( via Verizon, @vtext.com ) we are only able to designate one "To" user and one "CC" user. Attempting to populate either field with additional addresses errors out in SIM. Additionally, creating a group/alias within Outlook results in no messages getting thru from SIM. If we test from Outlook, the messages arrive so something odd within SIM.

Anyone ever see a similiar issue?

Thanks in advance.

BuddyD

P.S. This thread has been moved from Community Feedback & Suggestions to ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

BuddyD - Please excuse but didnt get your question

One can send event notifications from HP SIM via e-mail  to an e-mail address or to a DL

Please refer Systems Insight Manager 7.2 User Guide:

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03651392-3.pdf

If my post was useful, please clik on "White Star" to award me kudos :)

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks J_N, I didn't explain it very well.

We've created an Outlook group, admins@ourdomain.com. Addresses included are individuals within the org., such as buddyd@ourdomain.com. This works with with no issue. We've also created a admins911@ourdomain.com Outlook group, which has addresses such as 1234567890@vtext.com, etc. From a command line, this works and the messages get thru, as desired. From within SIM, no errors but the alerts/messages are never received.

However, setting up an alert within SIM To: 1234567890@vtext and then CC'ing 0987654321@vtext WORKS!

So, my question/confusion is, what is happening within SIM that doesn't like the Outlook group with the @vtext.com extension??

I'll peruse the document you sent along via link and see if that has any answers.

Thanks again.

BD

BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Did you  test it with the command line on the SIM Server?

If not you should try testing possibility in the event automation setup inside SIM.

It could be a mailgateway relay or forwarding problem which you did not have from the server or pc,

there you tested from command line. 

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Yes, from the Options > Events>Auto event handling> email settings...

Individual "text" emails get through but the group "text" emails do not. It does not get through from SIM but does work from Outlook, something between SIM and Outlook.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Appreciate the time.

BD

BPE
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

In such a case I would try to change the sender email address to your own email address

or the mail address you have used inside outlook.

I guess you have some protection against spammers inside exchange configuration .

In case you have Insight Remote Support in place, you get sometime a better error code for your exchange people.

https://sim_server:7906 is the default port for the user interface.

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

That was it! Once I changed the sender to myself, the test message went thru.

Many thanks, BPE!!

BD