cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP SIM event management

emarganne
Occasional Visitor

HP SIM event management

My question is concerning the event management in HP SIM. When you receive a trap from one of your device, its status changes same goes when the polling sees some changes.

I want to forward all events seen in HP SIM as SMNP trap to another machine to centralize our monitoring management. How can i manage to get the status (all status changes) to be sent as SNMP traps to it?

With SNMP traps it already works well but with agent polling it is more tricky. Sometimes i get information from both traps and polling sometimes only polling.

Many thanks for any help.
2 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM event management

You need to understand the two mechanisms.

Polling checks for the device being present and can determine the overall health of the agent.
It will generate an event if the device is not available, but not based on the status of the agent.

The agents generate traps if they find an error.
SNMP on these servers can send traps to multiple destinations.
Or HPSIM can forward SNMP Traps it receives.
emarganne
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP SIM event management

So there is no way to report with the help of SNMP traps a change of the status of an agent?

Also when you say : "It will generate an event if the device is not available, but not based on the status of the agent."

Is it if and only if? Because I do not think so since I get traps generated by HP SIM when there is a discovered device or when there was a problem with the data collection on the host for i.e..

One thing that might help resolve my problem indenpently from the questions above is:
Is there a way to report in some way a status change from "minor, warning, ..." to "normal" for a device when it occurs?
To report a "clear" action on an event would fit my needs too.

Many thanks for any help.