108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM for non HP hardware monitoring

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

HP SIM for non HP hardware monitoring

Hi All, can we use HP SIM to monitor non HP hardware ?

for example SUN / Oracle server and EMC storage array

Best regards,
11 REPLIES 11
Casper42
Respected Contributor
Solution

Yes, you can add 3rd party MIBs to HP SIM and then use SNMP.

If you have SIM up already I think its in the upper right under Options, and then look for something about Device Types.
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Make use HPSIM func. Manage System Types. Using this you can monitor 3rd party hardware.

Some of them are already there i.e Dell, IBM Servers.

Manage System Types Use SNMP to Identify a device, you will have to import MIB to recieve Traps for that device.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

To give you an idea, there is a quite good example of how you can monitor Dell servers with HP SIM:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/3891.monitoring-dell-servers-in-hp-systems-insight-manager.aspx

I know also a customer with IBM blades in the same way, don't find the documentation at this moment...

If you have the MIB files, it should be possible in some kind of way...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thank you for the clarification, I hope that the MIB can be imported easily and not causing any issue with the existing HP SIM functionality.

Best regards,
Server-Support
Super Advisor

What about the HP SIM agent, do I need to install this on every Windows server that I want to monitor or I can just do the scan based on the IP address in my Data Center ?

Best regards,
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi, There is no HP SIM agent needed... It would be only based on SNMP and eventually WBEM... kr, Bart
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Cool, thanks for the clarification Bart, so does this means that the HP SIM operates based on MIB loaded into the server and scans the Subnet regularly as opposed to agent based detection and report ?

Best regards,
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

HP SIM does regular polling (this is customizable) or it can be done via SNMP traps towards the HP SIM server also...

Kr,

Bart

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thanks Bart,

I was under the impression that HP SIM would require Windows agent to be installed in the OS level. But it turns out to be not needed.

Best regards,