New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM installation - Remote SQL database permissions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM installation - Remote SQL database permissions

Hi all

I am currently trying to install HP SIM 5.0 SP5 and are looking for some more information about how to do the installation with a remote SQL database.

So these are the steps I have done:
1. Manually created a database on the remote SQL server (named it HPSIM)
2. On the Database configuration page, I specified the name of the database server in the Host field

When I click next, the installation will check the database. I receive the following error: "Insufficient rights to database"

The user I specified under Database configuration is a domain admin account. I have also given this accound dbo rights to the HPSIM database.
The installation procedure regarding database is not very detailed as far as I can see, and I haven't found any information about how to do this.

Does anyone have some documentation describing this part of the installation in more details?
Instead of using this domain adin account for the installation, should I create a new user account/service account and use that one for the installation and what permissions should that user have on the SQL server and on the SQL database?

Some help is appreciated.

Thanks.

/ThomasO
10 REPLIES 10
Ondra Ernyei
Valued Contributor

Hello Thomas,
instead of using Windows authentication, did you try to use SQL authentication ? The SQL server has to be installed in "mixed" mode.

Ondra
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ondra

The SQL server is installed in mixed mode.
However, during SIM installation, how/where can I specify to use SQL authentication (suring the installation).
I only have an option to specify username, password and domain.

Or do you mean that I should select SA as DB_OWNER on the database I created for this?

Thanks.

/ThomasO
Ondra Ernyei
Valued Contributor

Hello,

please sorry my mistake, you cannot use SQL authentication for SIM5 installation.

Try to use a credentials of local administrator of the DB server (or any admin user you create). Type the host name of the DB server in the domain field in the database configuration screen.

Only docs I've found are:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/infolibrary.html

I hope it helps,

Ondra
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ondra

I have created the database manually and the user account I specify during the installation process is member of Domain Admins group and is also the owner of the database.
However, I still get the error "Insufficient rights to database" when trying to install SIM.

Anybody else seen this problem before?

Some help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

/ThomasO
Ondra Ernyei
Valued Contributor

Thomas,

I've been supporting IM/SIM for some time and learned that in terms of the error messages the install is very inventive. Often it doesn't relate to the root cause at all.
I don't know where the core of your issue may lay. Sorry for my laical comments.
What I'd point you to have a look is:

- try to drop the database you've created and let's try if SIM install creates the database for you. At least, the 418812-001 doc doesn't talk about creating the DB manually.
- default SQL collation sequence
- installation using LOCAL user/pwd same as LOCAL admin user/pwd on the SQL box (I know you're using domain admin but this is worth trying if you're facing some authentication problems, may be DC related)
- disable firewall, if any, to ensure nothing is blocking port TCP/1433 or UDP/1434
- verify MDAC installation
- try to install to a different SQL test server you may have

What SQL version and OS on the SQL box are you using ?

Cheers,

Ondra
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ondra

Thank you very much for your help with this. I really appreciate it.

So this is what I have done now.

- I deleted the database
- I logged on to the front-end server (Where HP SIM will be installed) with local Administrator account. This account is SQL System Administrators (Server Roles) and DBO for all databases
- See attached for information of login information
- I got the following error: "Unable to connect to the specified database. Please check the Host, Database and Port value provided"
- I created the database manually on the SQL-01 server and then I got the following error during installation: "Insufficient rights to database"
- There are no firewall on any of those servers
- MDAC version on both SIM server and SQL server is 2.8SP2
- The SQL server is running in mixed authentication mode
- Both servers are Windows 2003 Server SP1
- SQL server is SQL 2000 SP3 (8.00.760)

Any more tips on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

/Thomas O
JCATC
Solution

I called HP support today and was finally able to get this same exact issue resolved. You need to leave the database as master and give the account you are installing under admin rights on the SQL server as well as dbo on the master database. SIM will then create its own DB and set everything up.

IMO very dumb on HP to have the installation work this way so hopefully they will correct this in the next release.

Jason
Sysgrp

Hello,

Yesterday I had the exact same issue as you. Tried to google it but I only found your post with no answer to it.

Anyway, try this.
username: your domain admin account
password: pw for you admin
domain: your domain
host: the machine running your remote SQL DB
Under instance name/use this one: leave it blank
Database: master
port: whatever port you are using, default 1433.

Now I found out that the installation creates its own database on your sql. youll see it after the installation is done. so you can not specify an already created DB in SQL. And the installation will not put anything into the master DB even though you specify it above.

hope it helps.
/Zeb
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jason and Zeb

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I finally found another posting about this as well with the same solution. See: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1038544&admit=-682735245+1163573004849+28353475
I followed your tips and the installation was sucessful.

Thanks again for very good help.

You saved my day.

/ThomasO