1752425 Members
5200 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM installed in VM not detecting ILO on host system

mpw613
Regular Visitor

HP SIM installed in VM not detecting ILO on host system

I've got HP SIM version 7.1 installed on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 VM. The VM is running on an HP host configured with ESXi 5.1. I'm having an issue where the ILO for the physical host of the HP SIM VM is not pingable. I do have the ILO set up sharing the main NIC, not using a dedicated NIC connection. Due to infrastructure, a dedicated LAN cable is not an option for ILO. So HP SIM is reporting an error with the ILO since it can't detect it. However, from my own system the ILO pings fine and I can login to ILO, etc. As a test, I moved the VM to a Dell host (ESXi 5.1) and then could ping the previous hosts' ILO address and in HP SIM the ILO was now fine (green). I then moved the HP SIM VM to a different HP host, running ESXi 4.1 and the same issue occurred - The ILO of this new host was not pingable from the HP SIM VM and within HP SIM the ILO was showing as having an error. As a further test I tried pinging the host ILO from other VMs on this HP host and none of them could ping the ILO address.

I'm assuming there is some sort of network communication issue from VMs on a host going back to the ILO of this shared connection. But does anyone know of a solution or fix for this, short of a dedicated ILO connection, which unfortunately is not an option, or moving the HP SIM VM to a Dell Host? Has anyone else seen this issue? Thanks!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Community Feedback & Suggestions to ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum - HP Forums Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

If i had to guess, this is a VMware networking configuration problem, not a SIM specific issue (since other VMs on that host cannot see the iLO, as you have probably deduced already).

I am not sure what you mean about a dedicated ethernet connection for the iLO (is this a blade?).    I think you said you are using the  shared port option for the iLO.  You're going to want to check your port groups in ESXi and the VLAN tag on the iLO shared port configuration.  Since I don't know how your network is configured, it's hard to suggest the proper course of action, but I think you can see it's not a SIM specific issue so I am not sure anyone here can help.

mpw613
Regular Visitor

OK, thanks for the feedback. I figured it was something related to the ESXi Networking, just wonderig if anyone else has seen this issue.I'll be moving the HP SIM VM to a Dell host, which is just a workaround, not a fix, but better practice to have the monitoring server not hosted on a system it is monitoring I imagine. Fortunately we have a Dell host we can use since we don't use HP SIM for Dell hardware monitoring.