5194 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM not generating events or alerts

nameless_girl
Advisor

HP SIM not generating events or alerts

Sorry for the previous "test" post!

I recently rebuilt my HP SIM server from the ground up (including Windows) because the previous one was acting flaky. I migrated the existing database using the mxexport/mximport and that went well. However, HP SIM is no longer detecting any server reboots or creating any critical events for my servers. If I reboot a monitored server, I get an informational "Cold start" and "Link up", but that of course does not generate a notification email.

The IP address of the SIM server is the same as it was before, and none of the SNMP settings have changed. I have tried re-discovering the system and re-installing agents, but nothing seems to make a difference. I'm starting to wonder if it would have been easier to just start completely from scratch, instead of trying to retain my data from the previous instance. This is very frustrating!
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It is the HW Polling Task that would detect if a server is not reachable.
So check this task is scheduled and look at how often.
A server can boot in between polling tasks so that HPSIM never sees the server is not there. You can reduce the polling interval, default is 5 minutes for servers.
danobi
Frequent Advisor

Have you tried sending a test trap from a system to the HPSIM?

If not, you can do it under the Systenm Management Homepage -> Seetings -> SNMP & Agent Configuration: [Send Test Trap]. This should generate an orange event named "generic trap".
You can check in the system eventlog for of this system if it sent anything. The event source is Foundation Agents.

It should say something like:
Description:
Foundation Agent:
Management Agents Test Trap sent - [SNMP TRAP: 11003 in CPQHOST.MIB]

If this is the case you could install a trap handler and see if those traps reach the HPSIM system.

Good luck,
Daniela
shocko
Honored Contributor

Check that the latest MIB kit is registered

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/mibkit.html
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I have set the "Cold Start" Mib so that trap handling is enabled and set the event to critical. That way it generates an e-mail.