cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP SIM not receiving traps

UMHS MCIT ISO EHIServic
Occasional Contributor

HP SIM not receiving traps

Randomly, SIM will stop receiving and processing traps. The OS is receiving them, as verified with the snmputil utility, as well as the fact that the OSEM application installed on the same server received them. However, SIM will not show the traps in Events. Restarting the HP SIM service seems to kick it over so they start going through SIM again.

This is not a consistant, every day occurance, but it has happened several times over the past year or so, on various versions of SIM including the most recently built SIM server (ver C.05.00.02.00). The biggest problem is that we do not REALIZE there is a problem until we notice that we've seen no traps for a couple days.

As I said, this problem existed on older hardware and versions of SIM and I was hoping after moving to a newer version on new hardware it's just mysterious never happen again, unfortunately that is not the case. Anyone else seen this?
2 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM not receiving traps

Not sure what OSEM is, but my guess is that there's an issue with the two trap handlers being on the same server.
Do the two applications need to be on the same server? That's about all I could suggest.

Maurice Skubski_1
Valued Contributor

Re: HP SIM not receiving traps

normaly it should work together with OSEM and SIM an the same server. You should get two events in SIM if OSEM knows the Event (one direct and an Service Event from OSEM). if there are problems, maybe it is better to seperate OSEM and SIM, but i would also open a case at HP Support for this issue.

ms