4161 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM on Linux VM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chuck Maynard

HP SIM on Linux VM

I have a new install of SIM 6.0 on RHEL 4.8 and I can fully discover and identify systems without any issues. The issue I have is with SNMP traps not being received by SIM. I know all community names are correct. It seems that when SIM starts up it's not listening on udp port 162 for receiving SNMP traps from clients. If I manually start the linux snmptrad service I can see the traps reach the server messages log but they never appear in SIM. So the question is does SIM have its own smnptrapd service or does it use the native linux snmptrapd service? If it uses the native linux service how does it hook into it to receive the traps?
5 REPLIES 5
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

is that setting applied in HPSIM?
options->protocol setting->snmp settings
check if you have correct setings applied here?
Chuck Maynard

Thanks for the reply but snmp is already checked on that page. If it wasn't, discovery wouldn't work correctly.
Chuck Maynard

If anybody has HP SIM 6 working on linux I'd be very curious to see the output of the following command.

"netstat -lnap | grep 162"
Soeren Emig
Valued Contributor
Solution

[root@hpsim ~]# netstat -lnap | grep 162
udp 0 0 :::162 :::* 3799/mxdomainmgr
unix 2 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 231629 3799/mxdomainmgr
Chuck Maynard

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to see. This means that SIM doesn't use the snmptrapd service and has it's own listener for incoming snmp traps. Now if I can only figure out why my install is not listening on 162 I'd have it fixed.

Thanks again!