Date: 2/28/2006
Time: 2:23:22 PM
Type: Error
User: N/A
Computer: [left out]
Source: HP Systems Insight Manager
Category: None
Event ID: 3
Description: com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

Application Event:
Time: 2:23:39 PM
Type: Warning
Event ID: 2
Description: Restarting MxDomainManager

Application Event:
Time: 2:23:39 PM
Type: Information
Event ID: 3
Description: Restart was Successful

Then the 3 would cycle again 25 seconds later.

mxpassword is useful:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxpassword.1m.html
especially 'mxpassword -g' for users with complex password that include double quotes.

mxuser is not useful to solve this situation:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxuser.1m.html

Summarized:
The problem is that the user account that installed HP SIM 5 is associated as the account to connect to the SQL server & that account is no longer working. This commonly breaks when the user's password or the account's name has been changed. That is why HP SIM should be installed while logged in with the same account that will be its service account. Installing under an equivalent user's administrator account and then changing the services to run under a different account will be a situation that will break when the user needs to change their password. This situation includes service pack updates to HP SIM.

To fix this change/verify the user account in the database.props file within 'C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config'. Look for the field 'hp.Database.username='. Change it to the same account that is used to run the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' service.
Then use 'mxpassword -g' or 'mxpassword -m -x MxDBUserPassword=""'. The point is to change the password to the one of the service account.
Then restart the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' service or restart the computer. If you start the service, give it a few minute to start up.

Note: It is a good idea to have your monitoring solution monitor for these events just in case of this situation.
Rick Gatti
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP SIM problem after renaming admin account

In addition to excellent instruction provided by phydeaux, I also had to make the account name change to these files as well:
database.admin (hp.Database.username=) and databaseupdate.tpl (hp.Database.username=)
Briana Farro

Just an addition to the original message below, I also had to update the User ID in the databaseadminupd.tpl configuration file.
Mazda
Regular Advisor

Phydeaux, thanks for the excellent write up. This resolve 'one' of the issues I was having with SIM 5.1
Geeta Basant
Occasional Advisor

if uoi remove hp insight from control panel then reinstall do all the setting preconifgured on all ILO cars on the servers stay the same or does each ilo card and password, IP address etc need to be set up again for each server
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

Hi Geeta, what u mean by Hp insight?
HP Systems Insight Manager or Insight Management Agent anyways they nothing to do with iLO settings. so you can remove/Reinstall.
Roger Armitage
Occasional Advisor

phydeaux's solution worked perfectly for me.
Phydeaux
Advisor

I'm surprised that this thread is still catching the eye of people. I'm glad I was able to help out (back in 2006).

Anyone have any quick advise for me to use HP SIM and Altiris Notification Server? I want to be able to deploy HP patches to dekstops in an easy way. I don't really like SSM. Can I install HP SIM and the Altiris portion on the same server?
Erik Tremblay
Occasional Contributor

This also helped me.
Hp-Sim wasn't working after I changed the administrator password and rebooted the server. It was stuck on ├в Checking HTTP server status├в .

I ran mxpassword -gand then changed MxDBUserPassword to our new password and it worked.

Thank you Phydeaux!