cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP SIM problem after renaming admin account

Sigurd Erland
Occasional Contributor

HP SIM problem after renaming admin account

We renamed the administrator account to something else (kept the same password), and after that I'm not able to start HP SIM. It's saying "Checking HTTP server status" forever, and nothnig happens. The event log (app log) is filled up with messages saying:
"com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database".

What do I have to do to be able to access HP SIM again? Reinstall? Or is there some simple commands that let me change the username for HP SIM.
19 REPLIES
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM problem after renaming admin account

Sigurd Erland
Occasional Contributor

This didn't help much. No matter how I try to use the mxuser command, it tells me:

There was a problem connecting to the HP Systems Insight Manager server. Make sure that:
1. Your username has been added to HP Systems Insight Manager.
2. Your username and password, if specified, are correctly spelled.
3. HP Systems Insight Manager is running.
4. You used '--' for any long options and double quotes if your username includes a domain.
Example: --user "mydomain\myusername" --pass mypassword

This happens even if I try mxuser -l, which according to the documentation, all users may perform.

The HP Systems Insight Manager service is running. Any other suggestions?
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Stupid suggestion: can you rename administrator user back ?
Then you will can use mxuser command to add another user.
Sigurd Erland
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, this didn't help. I still get the same message when trying to use the mxuser command. Also, after renaming the account back to administrator, HP SIM starts, but I'm not able to log into it, neither with the administrator account, nor with the new account name. I have now renamed the account back to the new account name.

Awaiting other suggestions...

Or is the only solution to completely reinstall HP SIM?
barry mercer
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Any solution to this? I've just changed my admin password and am now getting the same error... changing it back is not an option!

Thanks
Darren Z
Frequent Advisor

This is not an answer, but we did the same thing here and it 'destroyed' SIM. I finally got it up and working, but some things just didn't seem right after that, so I went ahead and rebuilt the server and started from scratch.

What you may try and do is a Search under the HP System Insight Manager directory under Program Files. Search for text and use "Administrator" as the text. You'll find that username embedded in a lot of configuration files. In each file try renaming "Administrator" to the new Administrator account name.
Jim Walsh_2
Frequent Advisor

make sure you update the services panel to reconfigure them to use the new name of the account

seen this break ssh too

if you install sim with the changed name after 4.2 sp2 everything should be ok

changing it after you install is bad news though
Stan Ryzinski_1
Occasional Visitor

SIM talks to a SQL database. I imagine that database is located on another server. Regardless when the DBA set up the database it was configured with security access for the original username password. The SIM process is trying to connect with a different username password. You need to get the DBA's to set security access to the new credentials and you should be up and running.

Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

Having the same issue here, but using MSDE instead of SQL Server. The administrator name was renamed by Group Policy, so changing the name is not an option. I have also tried several attempts to use mxuser with different usernames I had added previously when the system was working, but still have no success in retrieving a list of users.

Without getting this recofigured from command line, it looks like my only option is to remove/reinstall unless someone has another option to try.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Maybe Joel Rubenstein answer in this thread will help
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=977955
Phydeaux
Advisor

This is a summary of:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=977955

These steps solved my issue of:
Application Event:
Date: 2/28/2006
Time: 2:23:22 PM
Type: Error
User: N/A
Computer: [left out]
Source: HP Systems Insight Manager
Category: None
Event ID: 3
Description: com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

Application Event:
Time: 2:23:39 PM
Type: Warning
Event ID: 2
Description: Restarting MxDomainManager

Application Event:
Time: 2:23:39 PM
Type: Information
Event ID: 3
Description: Restart was Successful

Then the 3 would cycle again 25 seconds later.

mxpassword is useful:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxpassword.1m.html
especially 'mxpassword -g' for users with complex password that include double quotes.

mxuser is not useful to solve this situation:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxuser.1m.html

Summarized:
The problem is that the user account that installed HP SIM 5 is associated as the account to connect to the SQL server & that account is no longer working. This commonly breaks when the user's password or the account's name has been changed. That is why HP SIM should be installed while logged in with the same account that will be its service account. Installing under an equivalent user's administrator account and then changing the services to run under a different account will be a situation that will break when the user needs to change their password. This situation includes service pack updates to HP SIM.

To fix this change/verify the user account in the database.props file within 'C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config'. Look for the field 'hp.Database.username='. Change it to the same account that is used to run the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' service.
Then use 'mxpassword -g' or 'mxpassword -m -x MxDBUserPassword=""'. The point is to change the password to the one of the service account.
Then restart the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' service or restart the computer. If you start the service, give it a few minute to start up.

Note: It is a good idea to have your monitoring solution monitor for these events just in case of this situation.
Rick Gatti
Occasional Advisor

In addition to excellent instruction provided by phydeaux, I also had to make the account name change to these files as well:
database.admin (hp.Database.username=) and databaseupdate.tpl (hp.Database.username=)
Briana Farro
Occasional Visitor

Just an addition to the original message below, I also had to update the User ID in the databaseadminupd.tpl configuration file.
Mazda
Regular Advisor

Phydeaux, thanks for the excellent write up. This resolve 'one' of the issues I was having with SIM 5.1
Geeta Basant
Occasional Advisor

if uoi remove hp insight from control panel then reinstall do all the setting preconifgured on all ILO cars on the servers stay the same or does each ilo card and password, IP address etc need to be set up again for each server
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

Hi Geeta, what u mean by Hp insight?
HP Systems Insight Manager or Insight Management Agent anyways they nothing to do with iLO settings. so you can remove/Reinstall.
Roger Armitage
Occasional Advisor

phydeaux's solution worked perfectly for me.
Phydeaux
Advisor

I'm surprised that this thread is still catching the eye of people. I'm glad I was able to help out (back in 2006).

Anyone have any quick advise for me to use HP SIM and Altiris Notification Server? I want to be able to deploy HP patches to dekstops in an easy way. I don't really like SSM. Can I install HP SIM and the Altiris portion on the same server?
Erik Tremblay
Occasional Contributor

This also helped me.
Hp-Sim wasn't working after I changed the administrator password and rebooted the server. It was stuck on â Checking HTTP server statusâ .

I ran mxpassword -gand then changed MxDBUserPassword to our new password and it worked.

Thank you Phydeaux!