Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748122 Members
3501 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM reporting "A network interface has failed or redundancy has been lost"

sphar
Advisor

HP SIM reporting "A network interface has failed or redundancy has been lost"

Hi all,

HP SIM 6.3 reports this as a "Major Health Status" despite the fact that only one NIC is enabled for networking on each of our HP Proliants.

Has anyone found a way to rectify?

Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP SIM reporting "A network interface has failed or redundancy has been lost"

If you go to the system management home page you should see that the unused NIC are generating the error. orange color. if you ware running Windows you only need to disable the unused nic. But take care that you still have at least one working connection;-)
The health status does not change immediately. You need to wait 2 to 11 minute depending on your polling interval and the number of system in your SIM HW monitoring.

sphar
Advisor

Thank you for replying.

I've disabled the unused NICs on the HP Proliant Servers but the health status / WBEM / SNMP reports several HP Proliant Servers "Management Processor Status" (iLo) as being 'degraded' or "SNMP passthru data".

Hope someone has observed this activity and has a resolution.

infraune
Regular Visitor

Hi all

how do same thing with esxi 4.1 host ?

thanks for reply

shocko
Honored Contributor

So its the iLo card that's generating the degraded status? In that case, if your iLo is disconnected then disable monitoring of it in the SMH (if using Wbem).

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
infraune
Regular Visitor

The problem is that i see 2 more network connections in SIM ( see attachment )

In VCM i put only 6

i dont know how to disable monitoring

infraune
Regular Visitor

same major status health with ESXi 5.0

MariusGillesen
Advisor

I have only seen a workaround for "hiding" the unused NIC in ESXi4.1

1. Go to the ESXi host in VSphere

2. Select the Configuration tab

3. Go to Advanced Settings

4. Edit the settings and mark the unused NIC(s) for passthrough.

5. reboot the ESXi host.

This gets rid of the degraded messages and I have not seen any negative affect on our 30+ node ESXi cluster.

Not been able to test on ESXi 5, since we are a few weeks away from deploying that on HP blades.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Your workaround, was this for regular NICs or Virtual Connect?

My G6 10Gb NICs are connected to Virtual Connect modules where I have a profile for 2 virtual NICs assigned. The 6 other virtual NICs report now Not Connected and give this error in SIM.

However I cannot select these 6 NICs for passthrough. I can only do this on physical NIC which means that all 8 virtual NICs will be redirected... Which is not a solution in this case...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Rune Darrud
Occasional Advisor

Also note that not all hardware supports passthrough (DL385 G5).

Any news to this? I've seen this issue on ESX 3.5, ESXi 4.0, ESXi 4.1 U1, ESXi 5.0 (Current).

Just done upgrading to HPSIM 6.3, had hoped this had been resolved by now.