Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751967 Members
4588 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM server renaming

Shane D Johnson

HP SIM server renaming

I am going to upgrade our current SIM server from 5.3 to 6.2 and in that process I am going to have to rename the server. Will this affect the SIM application?
9 REPLIES 9
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Hm.. interesting I also thinking between performing inline upgrade or migrate the existing v5.2 into v 6.3 ?
Best regards,
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is there a specific reason why you want to upgrade?
Sometimes a clean install goes much faster, you do a clean discovery and it will work smoother...

Or are there a lot of queries, collections and security that you want to preserve?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Same reason as with me, because I don't want to do the agent redeployment to prevent major data center server restart.
Best regards,
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

If you deploy HP SIM 6.3 on a new server (virtual or physical), it shouldn't have any impact on the agents within the datacenter...
With the option Repair Agent Settings, you can re-link all the agent settings to the new server without any downtime... Everything can be done online...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Arunav Nayak
Valued Contributor

Hi Johnson,

Renaming server name will not affect SIM from normal processing.

Thanks,
Arunav
Shane D Johnson

Thank you all for the great replies. We have to do an inplace upgrade due to time constraints. I do plan on replacing the current servers with new ones but there just isn't enough time to get the new servers ordered and in place.
Server-Support
Super Advisor

cool,

please let us know how you go with that inline upgrade.
Best regards,
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

If you have SNMP security set to "Allow SNMP packets from these hosts", you will need to add the new server name in to continue to allow the systems to be properly identified in SIM.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor