Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753468 Members
4543 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hello, Depending on the version of ESX you can use the SN...

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Right a local Admin on Windows server is enough. In the options menu under Discovery there is a general link there you see things used using Discovery like the option to discover guest os om an ESX server. For the missing info on the server itself look if WBEM is detected as a protocol yet.
Kind regards,

Andrew
n0kia
Valued Contributor

1. Under health status i can only see a green tick next to ping. I was hoping see everything like when you use SNMP and it shows storage, nics etc, do you not get this with wbem, and it you don't. When a disk fails will it show? or is it not managing hardware faults?

It should show the component like how you see snmp. the HP Providers is what SIM talks to when monitoring. Do an options > Data collection  to see if that works correctly for that host. Also do a hw/sw status polling when data collection finishes. If you want hardware wbem issues to be received by HP SIM, do an options > Event > Subscribe to wbem events.

2. I've noticed that HP SIM has now found the VM's running on it. We already hve monitoring tools on the VM's so I don't need any more for the VM's. So is there a ways of monitoring the ESX Host without it showing you the VM's running?

You will need to disable sim from picking up the VM when a VM host is discovered option. Option > Discovery >  Configure general settings (hyperlink) > Uncheck {Automatically discover VM guest(s) when the host is identified.}

3. Obviously you don't have root access in windows, so to run WBEM on a windows box, do you need just local admin rights when running the discovery to pick up WBEM?

Yes

cesarpegado
Valued Contributor

finally getting somewhere with this. I've managed to get ESX on WBEM and have stopped discovering of VM's

Next question, we have quite a few hosts that have some nic adapters not being used. I can see how to exclude warning for WBEM, but i have some DL380 Gen8's which the agentless management has also picked up some NICs not being used, and has flagged them as faults in HP SIM. How do i get HP SIM to ignore alerts from SNMP / ILO for NIC cardsnot benig used.

Thanks

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Try to disable the nics with error as a status from ESX or disable them from the bios.
Kind regards,

Andrew
cesarpegado
Valued Contributor

Andrew,

so theres no way of doing without logging in to the ESX box and disabling the NIC's? you don't just ignore alerts from that like you can with WBEM?

am i right in thinking you shouldn't use WBEM with Gen 8's as they the Agentless management system?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Sure you can ignore these errors ot filter them. But the server stays degraded that's my point.

As for the gen8 and 9 you are correct with the AMS agent
Kind regards,

Andrew