1752458 Members
6269 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SIM63 default DB

Jamie Curran
Advisor

HP SIM63 default DB

What does HP SIm 6.3  Install as the default DB for WIndows ? Is it SQL express if so what version. I'm Looking at installing HP SIm  6.3 on Windows 2008 Standard or Enterprise SP1 R2. I will only be managing about 300-500 servers.

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM63 default DB

Hi,

The default DB for SIM 6.3 is SQL 2008 R2 Express...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
shocko
Honored Contributor

The only thing to be mindful of is there is a limited size of the DB with Express flavors so if you have a very large environment, it may not suit.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Jamie Curran
Advisor

What is the hardfast limit I think I saw 500-750 client machines? We are looking at strictly using it for hardware alerts for approximately 300 -500 machines initially it it expands we would look at going to a full blow version of SQL.
shocko
Honored Contributor

Can't remember of the top of my head but I'll try and look it up in the release notes.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

If I remember well, with SIM 6.0 you could go up to 1000 monitored items and with 6.3 this was raised to 2500 items or so?  Can't remember well but it must be somewhere there...

When I am connected to my SIM server I will try to look it up...

500-750 shouldn't be a problem though...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
shocko
Honored Contributor

I agree with Bart. I monitor about 600 systems and the only issue I have had was with the java heap size for the CMS itself. the DB has been fine. I was looking around for hard figures but I can't seem to find anything other than a reference to 6.3 supporting 'thousands' of devices. I'd say there are no hard and fast figures as polling intervals, frequency of collections etc. all affect the heap/db size.

:)

Jamie Curran
Advisor

In the event we outgrow the  SQL 2008 R2 express db is there an upgrade path to the full blow version of  SQL 2008 R2???? I'm  not a DB guy so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Yes, full blown SQL 2008 R2 engine will run the express DB. Alternatively you can run an export and import.