3826 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Sim 4.2 startup

Stefan Laemmer
Valued Contributor

HP Sim 4.2 startup

Hi,
after migrating a couple of days ago to HP Sim 4.2, the system worked ok. Overnight last night, the IE Page stopped, with a failure to cummunicate with http server. Attempting to restart the machine, or just the Http Service (which is started) does not work. The 'Checking the HTTP Service" box sits there for over 22+ minutes but never shows any errors or such. Any ideas ? Thanks much.
10 REPLIES 10
Alexander Haugk
Advisor

can you connect to the server from another machine?

https://SERVER_NAME:50000/
Stefan Laemmer
Valued Contributor

No i cannot.
Alexander Haugk
Advisor

on my first installation of hpsim i had the same problem. i reinstalled it and from this point it runs well...

try to install it over the existing installation (type: typical, not custom!). restart the machine and call the hpsim from another machine. (the script which starts when you doubleclick the shortcut on you desktop is buggy, i think...)
Stefan Laemmer
Valued Contributor

Sorry for being a newbie: I think i found an error (in the eventlog, doolp):
Event Type: Error
Event Source: HP Systems Insight Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3
Date: 2/17/2005
Time: 10:07:37 AM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxx
Description:
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

Let me go and do a search around here, maybe i'll find something i can try (and if not, i'll do a reinstall).. Thanks much for the quick reply!
Alexander Haugk
Advisor

is your mssql up and running? look for a process called "sqlservr.exe" with system privileges. the service is called "MSSQLSERVER"...
Stefan Laemmer
Valued Contributor

I dont have SQL on the box itself, i pointed it to our local SQL server, which is up and running, and the DB is online.
Alexander Haugk
Advisor

hmmm... have you changed the login creditials for the sql server?
Stefan Laemmer
Valued Contributor

I think i found it:
When HP Sim got installed, it used the local Administratot account to run the service. That got changed, as it might be failing when we change passwords (every quarter). As the SQL Server uses the same account/password, it seemed to work fine. So, i just changed it back to local admin, , restarted the service and voila it's running now..
Thanks Alexander for directing me on the right track there..

Nb: Not a big fan of using local administrator to run services.. Have to come up with a slick solution..
Stefan Laemmer
Valued Contributor

HP Sim uses local admin account to run service and connect to SQL Server's database (on remote server). That was changed to use Local System (as we change passwords quarterly). Resetting it back to local admin worked.