1751832 Members
5307 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Sim 5.1 SNMP Issues

Nathan.Jones

HP Sim 5.1 SNMP Issues

Hi.
I have recently setup HP SIM 5.1 on a new server and I am having some problems with SNMP.

What I am seeing is that none of my servers are registering alerts in HP SIM.

I have configured the SNMP service on the servers to send traps to my monitoring server.

If I run a SNMP sniffer (stopping the SNMP Trap Service first) on the HP SIM server I can see the test traps being received by HP SIM however HP SIM does not process them.

They do not appear under events and I do not receive any emails from HP SIM.

Other events such as log in, log out and discovered systems do trigger events and if I send a test trap from the HP SIM server to itself this registers in HP SIM.

I do not believe there to be any network setting causing this problem as I did have it working a few months ago on an older box running HP SIM 5.0.

Any suggestions/help....this is really bothering me now as I can not see why its not working.

All systems are Windows 2K3 SP1.

Thanks
Nathan
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Sim 5.1 SNMP Issues

Since this is Windows Server 2003, by default the SNMP service only responds to localhost. Double check that.
Cindy Osborn
Valued Contributor

Two things to check. The SIM server under SNMP Security needs to be set to accept from any host. The other thing is to check in SIM under Event Filter Settings. Under the Accept traps from discovered systems is there an * in the box or a range.
Nathan.Jones

Thanks both however all seems to be set as it should be.
David, can you confirm where I check its not set to localhost only...i do not think it is but worth checking...

gurrrr!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

On the HPSIM Server, I select allow all hosts in the SNMP Settings. You also need to check the community names. These need to be the same at each end and they are case-sensitive.

On the remote server you need to check that the HPSIM is an Allowed host and the community names.

The HP Management Agents GUI can generate a trap that is picked up by HPSIM and flagged as a major event.
If the traps are getting there but not being processed by HPSIM are there any other applications that might be intercepting the traps.
Nathan.Jones

The traps are getting there however HP Sim is not doing anything with them.

I have an SNMP sniffer. If I try to start it while HP SIM is running I get an error as it can not bind to the port. If I stop HP SIM the sniffer starts and logs the trap....