Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752339 Members
5819 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-Sim & NetApp

Karisch Josef

HP-Sim & NetApp

Is it possible to discover NetApp Filer (Netapp FAS270c) in HP-Sim and receive SNMP-Traps. I have convert and registert NetApp.mib but i can't discover any Filer. Accept unregistered Events are Enable.
5 REPLIES 5
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

hi

First have a look at the two following docs, they should help you.
http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim_5x_compileMIBs.pdf

HP SIM by default has no knowlegde of Netapp devices. But as you saw it,one can compile mibs into HP SIM to be able to recieve traps from a given device.

In your case , you need tyo go some steps further :
you need to create identification rules for your netapp device. Your device has an IP adress, if you set up properly snmp on it. HP SIM should be able to discover it. With no identification rules, it will surely appear as an unknown devices in the all systems collection. Check this collection to see if your netapp has been discovered or not by HP SIM : keep in mind that discovered and identified are two different things :-)

to create a identification rule please refer to this paper wroet by dell on how to manage dell servers with HP SIM, there is a part that describes the creation of this kind of rule.
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/Integrating_PowerEdge_Servers_into_HPSIM50.pdf

Once done, run an identify on your device if discovered as unknow in HP SIM, that should do the trick. You also need to configure the NEtapp to send traps to HP SIM with the proper community. Pretty sure you did it already but just in case :-)

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Karisch Josef

Hi Fred,

i have setup the SNMP on the NetApp Filer but can't discover it in HP-Sim C.05.03.01.00, i have a screenshot added where i have sniffed a SNMP trap with mib-browser in Version 5.3 i can only discover is manual with "mxnode -a xServerx" and the indentification starts automatic if the indentificaton false i think hp-sim not make a entry in HP-Sim. I hope you can halp me!
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

HI there

You are getting there according to your last thread ;-)

As I said, I suppose that your netapp is surely discovered as an unknown device (make sure you don't filter unknown device in the discovery filter settings in discovery options) because HP SIM by default has no identification rule for this device.

You need to create a specific rule for this netapp so that it would be discovered as a netapp device.

please now adapt the following process to your netapp device :

System Type Manager
When a new system is detected via a ping sweep or when receiving a SNMP Trap, it is added to the HPSIM database. The System Type Manager then does a sequence of queries to the new device to determine its identity. The steps below configure HPSIM to look for specific information in the Dell├в provided MIBs to tell System Type Manager that the device found is a PowerEdge server. This only needs to be done once, as all Dell servers running Server Administrator appear the same way to HPSIM.
The steps used to configure the Device Type Manager to recognize a Dell Server are:
1. Start and log in to HPSIM.
2. Select Options ├в > Manage System Types.
3. On the Product model identification rules list, scroll down and select Dell Server with the SNMP protocol.
4. To prevent confusion and simplify administration, click the Delete button to delete the existing Dell Server entry, and click OK to confirm.
5. Click the New├в ┬ж button. The New Rule pane will open below. While values may be manually entered in the dialog boxes presented in the New Rule window, querying a Dell server for these values prevents typographical errors and provides verification that SNMP communication is working properly. In this vane, the querying tools within the New Rule window will be used.
6. Beside System object identifier click the Retrieve from system├в ┬ж button. The Retrieve from system pane will appear below the current pane.
7. In the Retrieve from system pane change the Community string to showcase.
8. Enter the hostname or IP address of the target Dell system in the Target hostname or IP address text box. December 2005 Page 15
9. Click Get Response. Note that the response value of 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.2 is displayed below. This is a generic Windows response value and indicates that SNMP communication is working properly.
Figure 7: Retrieve OID from system
10. Click the OK button to accept this value and return to the New rule pane.
11. Beside MIB variable object identifier click the Retrieve from MIB button. The Retrieve from MIB pane will appear below the current pane.
12. Beside MIB definition file name choose new10892.mib from the list. December 2005 Page 16
13. Beside MIB variable name choose systemManagementSoftwareName.
Figure 8: Retrieve variable from MIB
14. Click the OK button to accept this value and return to the New rule pane.
15. Beside Object value click the Retrieve from System button. The Retrieve from system pane will appear below the current pane.
16. Change the Community string to showcase. December 2005 Page 17
17. Click the Get response button. Note that the response value is ├в Server Administrator├в .
Figure 9: Get response
18. Click the OK button to accept this value and return to the New rule pane.
19. Beside Compare rule select starts with.
20. Beside Product model enter Dell Server. December 2005 Page 18
21. Leave the Custom management page field blank and click the OK button. HPSIM is already programmed to redirect users to Server Administrator for server administration on Dell servers.
Figure 10: Completed System Type Dialog

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Karisch Josef

hello i have solved the problem i have disable ssh and there was no problem to discover netapp in hpsim thanks @ all Josef
mygarfield

Unfortunately, this solution did not work for me. I'm running SIM 7.0 on CentOS with NetApp 8.0.2 on a FAS3140

Perhaps someone else has a solution?