1752808 Members
6028 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Storage Essentials error HTTP Status 500

George Genov
Frequent Advisor

HP Storage Essentials error HTTP Status 500

When I try ti access the menus connected to Storage Essentials operation I receive the following error:

HTTP Status 500 -
type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet appiqServlet threw exception
org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.CustomPrincipalValve.invoke(CustomPrincipalValve.java:66)
org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:150)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.0.28 logs.
Apache Tomcat/5.0.28

All the HP SIM Menus are working normally.
It is a new install of HP SIM and Storage Essentils.
All process are started: AppStoremanager OracleTNSListener

BR
George
18 REPLIES 18
JPS-LTU
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Storage Essentials error HTTP Status 500

Hi George,

have you tried re-installing the HP_SIM connector?
(stop the AppStorManager service, then uninstall, then re-install the HPSIM connector)

which version of SE are you running?

cheers
jason
mrockwell
Occasional Advisor

I am having the EXACT same problem; this is a brand new install on Windows 2005 x64 Enterprise Edition. My SIM server is brand new as well and located on another server. The SIM Connector showed that it was successful during installation and when I logged into SIM, it "welcomed" me to Storage Essentials, etc.

However, when I try to do anything with SE from the SIM drop downs, I get the error described my George.

I am going to try to reinstall the Connector but I'm thinking it's a different problem, isolated to the SE server itself.

If anyone knows of any way to fix this issue, please let us know! Thanks!

-Mike Rockwell
IT Partners
Phoenix, AZ
George Genov
Frequent Advisor

After some time I found the root of the problem.
The problem was in the version of windows 2003.
I have been trying to install Storage Essentials on Windows 2003 Standard Edition, and in the manual it says you need Enterprise Edition.
Now it is working "normally" :-P

Check is that your problem

So the next time RTFM.

BR
George
JonathanSE
Occasional Contributor

HP keeps tells me that the SE installation must be done by HP or a partner certified to install the product, else, it won't be supported.

The problem is that I have issues getting decent support from HP Storage Essentials team.

Can I assume that the rest of you are running self-installations of SE without support from HP?

Please share your thoughts/experiences about SE support from HP. Thanks.
Mazda
Regular Advisor

Support from HP for SE is non-existant. I am in Australia and I am told there is only ONE person in the country who can perform the installation.

HP does this on purpose. They make their documentation poor and their products poorer. That way, we are left to pay for services so that internal documents can be brought onto site by the HP engineer to resolve the issue THEY caused.

HP, your about to be dropped.....
Jake Mihalak
Advisor

George,

where in the manual does it say this? I'm looking in the installation manual and it makes many references to the support matrix which doesn't say anything about enterprise server being needed. I don't want to start over again if I don't have to...

Jake
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

It works on W2k3 std too, so no need for ent. edition.

Have You increased the java runtime memory reservation? And there is something strange on SE when launching from the SIM menu. It tries to connect the short hostname of SE and that must be resolved. We have SE & SIM on same machine and it won't go to SE pages until we added it to host file.
It seems to better too if You log in to SIM with https://simIP:50000 not the icon on the desktop
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Jake Mihalak
Advisor

I have SE enterprise editon though. Does SE enterprise edition require win2k3 enterprise edition?

I use the FDQN:50000 to go to SIM and the URL which comes up as blank does refer to the FDQN of my storage essentials server, not the short now.

I think enterprise win2k3 might be the problem because I waited a really long time and eventually got George's "HTTP 500" error.
George Genov
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

You can find in the attached file a pretty good install guide which i found and used to install Storage Essentials.

P.S. About the win2003 i will try to find is it really needed 2003 ent.

BR

George