108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Suported Limit of Systems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jim Hanson
Advisor

HP Suported Limit of Systems

Hi, sorry if this has been answered before, but what is the HP Supported Limit of Systems (Both Managed and Unmanaged) for SIM5? we are looking at adding a large bunch of XW25p workstations and we are currently at 900 total systems, with 790 managed proliants.

thanks
5 REPLIES 5
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Jim,

Nice thought.
SIM is a Management software which uses database(MSDE/SQL/Oracle) to store the data files which is nothing but the tasks/events/discovered servers.
So there should not be a limit to SIM as such beacause there's a separate database to store the files.
Infact SQL/Oracle can be a separate server.
Since the number of managed nodes is 900,i would either use SQL/Oracle as the database.

SRH
Jim Hanson
Advisor

Thanks Sandeep, but i think there is a bit of a disconnect here. I have a seperate instance of SQL running for the database side, and currently have approximately 900 Systems in it. I am planning on adding about 1200 new managed proliant systems in the next few months. I need to know if This is supportable under 1 CMS, is this advisable under 1 CMS, does HP have a hard Published limit (say, something like "we recoomend no more than 2000 managed Systems per CMS" or the like.) I can't believe that a free product would be infinately scalable as suggested.

Thanks,

Jim
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor
Solution

I looked through the docs as I thought this was published but couldn't find it for you. In general the statement is 5000 "nodes" - that is manageable entities - not necessarily servers. This thread here:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1043875

discusses some about the limit and they mention 5000. There is a HPSIM Sizer tool and for the purposes of sizing your CMS hardware it tops out at 5000. It is my understanding that the node limit is also related to what database you are using, for instance I don't believe that using MSDE you will be able to get up to 5000. My understanding is that it is attainable using SQL and Oracle. However, as I said I could not find the official statement in the documentation to verify this. If I can find it at a later time I will try and update this thread. The link to the HPSIM sizer tool can be found on this page:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/infolibrary.html#b2

You should be aware that the more nodes you manage the larger the database and the higher the requirements for hardware resources required to get acceptable performance with HPSIM.

Good Luck,

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Jim Hanson
Advisor

Thanks, Rich, This is exactly what I am looking for. If you do find anything more official, please pass it along.
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Just for your information if it's of any help, we're managing about 2000 servers plus 2000 ILO boards and some few hundred "other" items in one CMS, there are some performance issues especially with a memory leak in the SMH when the discovery/data collection tasks run, but restarting that agent once every week has solved that issue for us. Looking in task manager for any process with more than 4 GB open handles will quickly show you if you run into this issue.
Otherwise performance is fine with a split application / database configuration running on DL585's with plenty of RAM.