1752800 Members
5799 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP System Management Homepage timeout

salalonde
Occasional Contributor

HP System Management Homepage timeout

I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 U3 on an HP Proliant BL20p G2. I have installed the Proliant Support version 7.80. When I try to login using the System Management Homepage I always get timeout errors.

/opt/hp/hpsmh/logs/smh.log just shows that the user was authenticated and does not indicate any errors.

I read through some of the other posts about this and I haven't had any luck. Also I am not very "snmp" literate, so if I need to change anything /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf I will need clear instructions.

Any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2
salalonde
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP System Management Homepage timeout

Actually it's Red Hat Enterprise Linux U5.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: HP System Management Homepage timeout

Under Custom Settings of SNMP :
The amount of time HP SIM waits for an SNMP response when it sends a request to the
system. If a response is not received within the time interval, HP SIM might determine
that the system does not support SNMP. Decreasing this value can result in increased
network traffic because the rate of retry attempts is increased. Use caution when changing this value. A value of three seconds usually works for a LAN. However, If systems are connected through a WAN, try a higher value, for example, 10 seconds.

The cause could also be your browser's proxy settings or the web proxy itself. HP recommends not using a web proxy server if it is optional in your environment. If you must use a web proxy to access managed systems, the web proxy itself must be able to resolve the system names in URLs generated by HP SIM. By default, HP SIM uses an unqualified system name (for example, no domain is present). If your proxy cannot resolve that style of name, change HP SIM to use IP addresses or full DNS names when creating URL links. To do this, select Options├в Security├в System Link Configuration in HP SIM. If you do not need to use a web proxy to access managed systems but you do need a web proxy for other purposes, first try avoiding a proxy to verify that managing systems works properly in HP SIM. Then, re-enable the browser's proxy settings and work on a proxy exception list for your managed systems. In Internet Explorer, the Bypass proxy server for local addresses option is usually sufficient for HP SIM's default System Link Configuration. Firefox does not have a setting that is equivalent to the Internet Explorer setting for accessing local systems.
├в ┬в Configuring Firefox to accommodate HP SIM Add your managed systems' names to the proxy
exception list, or use a proxy auto-configuration (PAC) file that avoids a proxy for your managed systems.
├в ┬в Configuring HP SIM to accommodate Firefox To help simplify your proxy exception list, configure HP SIM to use full DNS names when creating URL links. To do this, select Options├в Security├в System Link Configuration in HP SIM If you reconfigure HP SIM to use IP addresses or full DNS names in URL links, you must also include the addresses or domains of your managed systems in your proxy exception lists for both Internet Explorer and Firefox.
IMPORTANT: A side effect of changing HP SIM's System Link Configuration setting is that you might encounter security alerts if the name of the managed system's certificate does not match the name in the link that HP SIM generates.

Regards,
James.