1753797 Members
7805 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Version Control Agent Fix?

SeanOB1
Advisor

HP Version Control Agent Fix?

I have been having issues with the HP Version Control Agent and wondering if anyone has had the same. This is not an SNMP issue or a SIM issue as most are. My SNMP settings are set correctly and there have been no issues in the past with the System Mangement Homepage not displaying the agents or timing out.

My Version Control Agents were all working fine up to Version 2.2.0.820.

The last two releases after this have stated to fix the following issue in the Enhancements and Fixes section of the release:

"Fixes: VCA causing SMH to timeout when the SNMP community string is set using Group Policy editor"

This applies to our environment since we have hundreds of servers and the SNMP settings are applied via GPO.

The problem is, with these last two versions, the issue still occurs. When the System Management Homepage is loaded, it times out and the System Model changes to Unknown. If I stop the Version Control Agent service and reload the SMH, it loads quickly displaying all agents and the System Model is shown.

I have since rolled back to an older version of the Version Control Agent since this issue that states has been fixed in the last 2 releases has not. The only reason I have tried updating to the latest release is because it also says that it fixes the Software Status not updating in SIM which is a little annoying but I can live with it.

Is there any progress on fixing this issue? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
n.price
Advisor

2.2.0.820 was a nightmare. there were new VCA agents and a new VCRM released on the 4th of november, 2.2.0.835 which fixes most of the issues introduced in the last two versions;

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-79ef5fa4197944f99c4cd1c4c6&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3188465

SeanOB1
Advisor

Thanks n.price... but as I said in my post. The issue is still experienced with the latest versions.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

One of the known issues with the VCA was that after a restart if the SW Polling task hit the VCA first then the cache files were incorrectly created and the VCA would hang on access. that wouldn't directly affect the SMH.
You can check on that as one of the cache files is created at 0 length and one is missing.

It seems in your case there is still an issue with the SMH when SNMP is set via GPO.
We don't use the GPO to set SNMP here. You may need to log a separate call. Check the obvious things like the entire PSP is installed, and re-check the SNMP settings are okay.
SeanOB1
Advisor

Thanks Rob. We have verified SNMP hundreds of time and even tried manually setting SNMP settings to rule out the GPO issues. The hanging is still experienced.

I have also tried logging calls with HP which have not helped because they have not been able to provide any insight to the issue. I have just been told it is a known issue that was to be fixed in the "new release". It just happens that the last two releases say that they fix the issue but no luck here.

Thanks