108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Version Control issues after upgrade from version 7.2.2.0 to 7.3.0.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
SauliusB
Advisor

HP Version Control issues after upgrade from version 7.2.2.0 to 7.3.0.0

After HP Version Control Repository Manager was upgraded from version 7.2.2.0 to 7.3.0.0 I've started to monitor following issues:

• Nodes with HP Version Control Agent version 7.2.2.0 and later cannot connect to HP VCRM
  • HP VCA can connect to HP VCRM, but do not display server Firmware and BIOS information after upgrade to 7.3.0.0

HP VCRM downgrade to version 7.2.2.0

Do anyone have noticed similar issues and have solution for this?

Thanks in advance

30 REPLIES 30
mlamczyk

I have also noticed that firmware and BIOS updates are no longer being displayed by the 7.3 agent and/or server.  However, I believe I was able to get a 7.2.2 agents to communicate with the 7.3 VCRM by uninstalling and reinstalling the agent. 

debating if I want to downgrade or just deal with firmware updates manually until they fix that issue in a future update.

SauliusB
Advisor

In my case downgrade/reinstall to HP VCA version 7.2.2.0 is no solving connectivity to HPO VCRM issue :(

icculus79
Occasional Visitor

I am experiencing the same issues.  The only working combination I have found that will connect to VCRM 7.3.0.0 is a client running SMH 7.3.0 and VCA 7.3.0.0.  Makes using the VCRM to update the VCA kind of difficult if you have to manually update the SMH and VCA to get it to connect to the VCRM.  As a side note, the 7.3.0 version of SMH does not work at all on 32-bit Windows 2003 (breaks it completely).  Looks as if 7.3 releases are quite buggy and we will have to wait for HP to release updated versions of the VCRM and the SMH before things start working again.  I recommend not upgrading to VCRM 7.3.0.0.

SauliusB
Advisor

Well...

Last week HW Support case has been raised for this...

I guess we will get this fixed soon...

Sean Murray_1
Regular Advisor

Been having same issues since updating.

No more BIOS, HDD firmware info on the agent side. Within the VCRM it seems to have issues trying to update from HP.

Hope they fix it soon as I am debating on going back a version.

ChrisAbbott
Advisor

I am also seeing all the issues listed above following migration from 7.2 to 7.3 (forced on me when I moved SIM to a new server).

Come on HP, VCRM is at best pretty useless. You have now rendered it completely useless.

My list of gripes for when it does work include...

1. It's slow, taking hours to start and validate the catalog one file at a time. I dread a server restart because of this!

2. Constantly downloads things you have archived.

3. Very memory hungry.

4. Very CPU hungry.

5. Very unresponsive.

6. Kills SMH's because it insists on sending the full catalog to the VCA every time the VCA is visited (you guys not heard of AJAX!). 

7. Randomly fails to download updates you know it should.

8. Completely useless logs that tell you very little you didn't already know.

9. Despite allowing you to download software for 'Desktops', there is no VCA for Desktop machines.

Is it maybe not time to rethink VCRM and come up with a product that solves all these issues?

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

@ChrisAbbott wrote:

Is it maybe not time to rethink VCRM and come up with a product that solves all these issues?

Just for your information: That's already happening!

HP SIM and VCRM (and probably the hole Insight Control Suite) is going to be replaced by HP OneView and that should  (hopefully) handle that stuff better.

But back to topic:

I'm experiencing the same issues.

VCA 7.3.0.0 on VCRM 7.2.0.0 is not showing any firmware / BIOS

SMH 7.3.0.9 on Windows Server 2003 x86 isn't working at all (web debugging tool like Fiddler says: Connection actively refused by target machine)

Regards,

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello Ville,

You are correct unfortunatly Oneview is not free of charge.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

HP SIM for monitoring is for free, the configuration stuff is under Insight Control license so also not for free.

Oneview 1.0 now is more configuration compared to monitoring (not really that much yet) so yes you need a license. Know that also VCEM, which was a separate license before also, is now included in the Oneview license.

Give it some more time, Oneview will be much extended with more great features, we'll see how it continues with the licensing saga...

FYI I am currently posting a list of blog posts on the installation and configuration of Oneview... Check it out!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !