108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) is broken

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

HP Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) is broken

We have ten evaluation licenses for VMM and would like to test it to see whether it will be suitable for our environment. Two of our ESX hosts registered and seem to be working, the other seven hosts will not work at all. Here are the steps I've done:

* SSH key is installed on all ESX hosts
* Register >> VMM Host >> Linux host works
* hpvmmcnt is running on the host
* Licenses are assigned to all ESX hosts

If I try to restart VMM from HP SIM on one of the problem hosts, it says "System hostname is unknown to VMM"

On the two working hosts the licenses page says "trial license". On the non working hosts the Licence category is "assigned trial license". All of the hosts have Status OK.

All of the non-working hosts have a letter 'i' in the VM column when looking at them in HP SIM. The legend says this means VMM is working but not licensed.

What do I have to do to make this work? It's very frustrating, and seemingly buggy. Not something I'd want to pay for, if it's going to give us this much trouble in production.
2 REPLIES 2
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) is broken

The difference indicates that it has not connected with the product to validate the licenses.
I would verify firewall settings on the ESX hosts to check it is allowing VMM out.
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) is broken

Huzzah, that worked great. Here are the commands in case anyone else runs into this snag:

"esxcfg-firewall -o 1124:1126,tcp,in,VMMagent"
"esxcfg-firewall -o 1124:1126,tcp,out,VMMagent"