HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP insight manager database very large

Roger Parsons
Occasional Contributor

HP insight manager database very large

Our HP insight manager databse is very large and growning. Currently it is at 40 GB. We are running our Insight server on a Windows 2003 SP1 server, with SQL 2000. Is there something I can do to trim it down. It is starting to gobble up all the drive space on the server. I have not been able to find any info regarding the management of the Insight database.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Roger
7 REPLIES
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Re: HP insight manager database very large

YEs you could remove all information message in you're database...this would help out a lot.There is a way to remove these message all in one shoot.DO NOT REMOVE IT FROM SQL DATABASE DIRECTLY ,UNLESS YOU TO REDO HP SIM.

Please do not ferget to apply you re points, there are situated next to every message, next to date and time as UNASSIGNED.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Daniel
Mark Tew_1
Occasional Contributor

On my database, I have over 2 million informational alerts that I cannot clear from SIM as the page crashes when I try to view these. Can these be "whacked" from database directly? my database has also grown by 10GB in 2 days (was 4 GB)and I cant see where this growth has come from. The only data I can see is in these uncleared events...

Does anyone have a guide to the SQL tables as well?
H.Y. Yiu
Frequent Advisor

also, look at your data collection tasks as well. if those tasks are defined as "Append new data set", then your DB will grow faster.
(VJ)
Advisor

I know it's a silly question but is it the database file (mdf extension) or the log file (ldf extension) that's grown to 40GB?
Mark Tew_1
Occasional Contributor

Its the Database file.
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

Mark,

To delete the events from the database you can create an event collection of all events older than xx days then you can schedule a delete events task that references that event collection.

You should also determine what are these events and if SIM can be configured to ignore them.
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

I had same problem when BI-Weekly data collection task run the SQL Trans log grows beyond 30GB. To resolve Change the logging mode for the reporter database to â simpleâ and then shrinks the database. Also, I talked to my SQL DBA and he provided me a script to shrink Trans log to (ex.100MB), see below example.

Open SQL Enterprise mangers, select the database, open SQL Query Analyzer, and run the following script, change DB name to yours SQL database.

example:
-- Replace 'db_name' with the database name you want to shrink the log from.
-- Replace 'logfile_log' with the file-name from the db properties under the
-- Transaction Log tab (not the physical filename). You may need the double quotes.
-- (the log filename is usually the db_name with '_log' appended to it.)

Use db_name
BACKUP LOG db_name WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY
DBCC SHRINKFILE ("logfile_log",100)
go

Changing SQL DB logging mode to a â simpleâ will have only minor implication is that you do not have Trans log file. In event of SQL DB crash, you have to restore SQL db from full backup, since there is no Trans log file.

Yes this is one time exercise, as long as you keep the logging mode to a â Simpleâ . You do not need to stop SQL services.

Thanks,
Mahesh