cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPSIM 5.0 HPUX Client install

Robert Parker_3
Occasional Visitor

HPSIM 5.0 HPUX Client install

I have been pouring over the documentation located at http://docs.hp.com/en/418810-001/ch04.html on how to install the HPSIM client software for managed HPUX systems and I still can't figure out exactly what the procedure is to install and configure the HPSIM client software.

Heres the situation: we've got an HPSIM 5.0 server running under Windows 2003 server. I'm used to installing HPSIM client software under linux on proliant hardware by using the PSP. Just run the PSP installer and it installs all the relevent packages and tells you what scripts to run to configure it. However, HPUX systems dont seem so straightforward at all.

Apparently you need at least: T1471AA B8465BA OpenSSL and additionally you should have: LVMProvider WBEMP-LAN-00 SysMgmtWeb SysFaultMgmt OnlineDiag as well. Well, I had to hunt all over the place to find the depot packages for all of those, then install each one. The installation never prompted me for any kind of SNMP configuration as with the linux hpasm package, however. After installing all of them, then doing a manual discovery from the HPSIM server, I only get very basic information to show up and there is no System Management Homepage to view.

I want to have robust monitoring for these HPUX systems that will tell me when disks or other hardware has failed and basically give me the same kind of detailed event notification as I enjoy for Windows and linux clients. Where can I get a complete single-source detail of EXACTLY what is required to get HPSIM monitoring installed and working for an HPUX client? The current documentation is either overly vague or is leaving something out that I don't see.

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Robert Parker_3
Occasional Visitor

Re: HPSIM 5.0 HPUX Client install

Anyone? This is terribly frustrating.
Damian742
Advisor

Re: HPSIM 5.0 HPUX Client install

Robert,
I think for hpux SIM prefers WBEM for info gathering. Check that it's installed. If it is then the reporting is comprehensive.
Also set up your snmpd.conf file to send traps to your SIM address/hostname and probably a good idea to restrict snmp access to only your SIM server. That should help cover your fault alerting.