New Discussion юеВ

HPSIM 5.1 - Users and Authorizations - Toolbox - Tools

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

HPSIM 5.1 - Users and Authorizations - Toolbox - Tools

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience configuring authorizations based on the Toolbox Tools.

I'm trying to setup a mid level admin group that has a good deal of rights in HPSIM but no rights to change the configuration of the hpsim server settings.

I know this can be limited by giving access to "All Managed Systems" but NOT "CMS".

I have everything setup and restrictions working except the admins can't delete servers from the database.

This seems to require CMS access. When I give CMS access it allows the rights to configure much more than I would like.

I can post more details if someone may be able to help...

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HPSIM 5.1 - Users and Authorizations - Toolbox - Tools

The way around this would be to use the Custom Tool Wizard and create a tool using 'mxnode' to do the deletion. Set the attribute in the tool to execute as the admin user. Personally, I would recommend also making it a one-at-a-time tool so someone doesn't get carried away and delete a bunch of systems.
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Thanks Dave!

I'm going to give this a try today.

Dana
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Thanks Dave!

Your custom tool suggestion works great.

Curious...

I don't see a user input box in the custom tool screen. Would I need to create a batch file/VBScript to prompt the user and pass the input to a environmental variable? Then use the "Environment variables section" in the hpsim custom tool creation?

I thought I had the rights setup for the group to be able to add a single system to the database but I recall this gave them all the Discovery rights. A single add system tool would be nice to have.

Thanks again Dave,

Dana
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Your command should be

mxnode -r %DEVICENAME%

and HP SIM will use the environment variable to replace the argument. It can be used like any other HP SIM tool. Start by checking one or more devices in a list and pull down the menu to start to run. If you start with the menu and don't have any nodes selected, it will step you through to select the nodes.

If you select the option to only have 1 device at a time, it will complain and make you remove the additional devices.
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

I think I can see how to do this now.

The custom job will launch a script that will in turn run the mxnode to add a system.

Dana
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Hi Dave,

The "Delete System" tool I created from your advice works great. The format I used for the command is mxnode -r %f

I'm now trying to figure out if there's a way to add systems via a custom tool. Since I don't see a way to prompt the console user for input I was thinking of creating a small VBScript file.

The script could prompt the user for hostname and then run "mxnode -a hostname".

Would this be the only way to do this without turning on too many rights for the group?

Thanks!

Dana
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

See the paper "Creating custom tool definition files for HP SIM 5.1" from http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library. Page 10 has an example of prompting the user for information.
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Great!

Thanks again Dave!
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Thanks Dave