Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753546 Members
5577 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM 5.1 is randomly disabling monitoring of servers!!!

EricP
Frequent Advisor

HPSIM 5.1 is randomly disabling monitoring of servers!!!

I notice after auto discovery runs (4:00 AM every day), some servers will be in a monitoring suspended status.

Even more weird, it will show a specific date and time that monitoring is suspended for (in one case this morning a server shows as "suspended until Sat, 4/21/2007, 5:00 AM).

Anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it?
19 REPLIES 19
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Unless someone quickly comes along with information saying that, "Oh, yeah, I noticed the same thing happening, and after I sacrificed a small animal to the CMS then it went away..." my first inclination is that you may have found a new anomaly. It may be that there is something unique in your environment that's making it show up in yours but not in others, but bottom line, get this called in as a case so it can be duplicated and escalated to the developers...
Matteo Creolini
Occasional Visitor

Sorry David, but unfortunately I'm not going to say what you expected...

I noticed the same behaviour with SIM 4.2 SP1 even if in my configuration automatic discovery task is disabled.
I have no idea of what is generating the problem but I found two times some servers in suspended state till a date in the future (and if I remember well is the same of EricP: Sat 4/21/2007...) and the hw status icons did not show the maintenace status but a wanderful "ok"; so, no way to know that the server is suspended until you expect an alert that does not come!

If you discover something let us know! Thanks
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Matteo and Eric: I know I have never heard of this problem and don't believe it has been posted about here before. Therefore, it's not something anyone knows about or is working to fix. Get it called in so someone can get to work.
EricP
Frequent Advisor

Well we've just been going through the list of "disabled systems" (which by the way is a bad name -- should be "suspended systems") each morning, and removing any that shouldn't be there.

When we get time, we'll call it in. I can imagine how long that call will be though.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

When you make the call and it goes through the prompts, say out loud the words "Insight Manager" and it will relay you to the correct team without delay.
freebird (-.-)
Regular Advisor

Ha!!!!!!!!!
Thats all I have to say about that.
Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

First, I thougt " they are catching the same issue we had.." but after reading all, I've seen, that it probably has nothing to do with the hardware status piolling task.

That was the point at our site:
we created two hardware status polling tasks for servers; one for working hours and one for out of office hours.
Each morning, the office hours interval "forgot" to start...

Where do you "re- enable" the systems, which are disabled?

Regards
Jimmy
EricP
Frequent Advisor

Jimmy:

Options/System Properties/ suspend or resume monitoring
Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

Well, it was just for clarifying for me to understan, what you mean, when you say, "re- enabling" monitoring.

Sorry, actually I'm stumped about this... :-S

we have disabled auto discovery because we only monitor servers and network equipment and they send a SNMP trap when they are booting, so new devices are added to our SIM by automatically identifiying when a trap is received.

Regards
Jimmy