9149 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

HPSIM 5.2 Windows Cannot Connect SQL Server 2000

Felicio Guimaraes Santo
Occasional Contributor

HPSIM 5.2 Windows Cannot Connect SQL Server 2000

All,

I had a fight for the last 14 work hours to install it with the installation procedure beign unable to connect to my SQL Server server running on differente box that one where I'm trying to install HP SIM 5.2.

As I found many messages with similar issues here I decide to register one more tip to that one who dealing (should correct to fighting ?) with this...

After many tries with permissions at SQL (sysadmins) and at Windows (Administrator on both boxes), during each try I was able to connect to SQL from the box where I'm trying to install HP SIM, using Query Analyser until I REMOVED NAMED PIPES from client configuration utility (cliconfg.exe) at HPSIM box.

After this I removed the NAMED PIPES from my server and it just does not startup anymore!

Then I found that the account used to startup the SQL Server service at SQL box, which isn't Administrator of windows in that box, does not have permission to HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLServer and HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Microsoft SQL Server. After added Full Control permisson to this account at this registry keys, I was able to startup AND connect to server using TCP/IP only either from HPSIM box or SQL box.

At end, the account used to run HP SIM had only dbo permission at SIM DB on SQL, no additional permission at Windows on SQL box and Administrator of HP SIM box.

Now I'll discover my network and start use HPSIM, if anything weird happens I'll post ;-)

GEMSPE - Felicio Santos, CAPM
MCSE NT,2000,2003-MCSA 2000,2003 Messaging
MCITS 2008 AD,Networking,Apps
CompTIA Network+