Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752790 Members
6025 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM 5.3 - Configure or Repair Agents Failing on "Configuring SSH authentication"

kschafer
Advisor

HPSIM 5.3 - Configure or Repair Agents Failing on "Configuring SSH authentication"

Okay, I'm trying to Add and Configure some Linux servers in SIM 5.3;

OS is SLES 10 SP1. I think the PSP is an older version (7.9 or an earlier 8.*)... I'm not sure how to check that from the OS.

Some other servers with the same PSP worked; ESX hosts with newer agents worked fine too.

Here's the error as displayed in SIM:

Windows configuration command (START)...
Running the Windows based repair tool (DONE).......................... [ERROR]
Could not create repair directory on the target system. Check username/password,
user's privileges and whether administrative share is enabled on the target syst
em.

Configuring SSH authentication (START)...
Configure SSH for host based authentication (DONE).................. [FAILED]
Configuration failed to complete due to the following exception:
Ssh Operati
on failed for node:fruxp615.geico.net. SSH_BAD_API_USAGEYou must supply a valid
username! [Unknown cause]

8 REPLIES 8
kschafer
Advisor

Re: HPSIM 5.3 - Configure or Repair Agents Failing on "Configuring SSH authentication"

And here's output from the stdout tab:

Running the Windows based repair tool (DONE).......................... [ERROR]
Could not create repair directory on the target system. Check username/password,
user's privileges and whether administrative share is enabled on the target syst
em.
java.io.IOException: /usr/bin/smbclient: not found

kschafer
Advisor

I hate replying to myself so much but here's an update - I installed the newest PSP and updated firmware, but still no help. Same problem when trying to run Configure or Repair Agents.

Any ideas?
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

the error looks like configuration issue on that box. is there smbclient installed?
kschafer
Advisor

I've installed the samba-client package to resolve the smbclient error, but that didn't help - I think that it's only used to configure windows boxes anyway.

I'm still getting the ssh errors. The other thing I noticed is that on the client, I'm getting this in it's messages log when I attempt to Configure/Repair:

sshd[17494]: Did not receive identification string from 10.240.16.75 <- That's the IP of my SIM sever.

Since installing the new PSP and setting up snmp manually, I can see the status of the server, but I can't configure/repair the agent so I get prompted for credentials when accessing the SMH.

kschafer
Advisor

I hate responding to myself... but I still can't figure this out.

How can I troubleshoot SSH on the SIM side? There doesn't seem to be any issue with the managed system's SSH.
Tomislav P.
Regular Advisor

Hi,...

...same problem,..

please help.

Regards,
Tom
Tomislav P.
Regular Advisor

http://docs.hp.com/en/418811-004/ch07s01.html

vi /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

Remove the comment symbol (#) from the trapsink line, and add the IP address of the CMS:

trapsink IPaddress

where IPaddress is the IP address of the CMS.

Add the CMS to the read only community by adding the line:

rocommunity CommunityName IPaddress

where CommunityName is the SNMP community string used by the CMS and IPaddress is the IP address of the CMS.

Regards,
Tom
Tomislav P.
Regular Advisor

and more important:

# vi /etc/sshsshd_config

replace:
PasswordAuthentication no

to:
PasswordAuthentication yes

and restart snmp daemon.

Regards,
Tom