1753528 Members
5432 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPSIM 5.3 and enabling SNMP from ESX 3.5 and VirtualCenter

kschafer
Advisor

HPSIM 5.3 and enabling SNMP from ESX 3.5 and VirtualCenter

I'm running SIM 5.3, ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5; Through the normal configuration means I have been unsuccessful in getting VMWare specific traps to be seen by SIM.

Hardware traps (I tested this by yanking a RAID disk) are delivered just fine from the ESX hosts, but not the VMWare specific ones.

This process doesn't sound difficult and to my knowledge I've set it up right -

Configured SNMP on ESX hosts
Imported ESX MIBs using mcompile and mxmib
Set the SIM server as the receiver for VC

But after that and a good amount of troubleshooting I've been unsuccessful. Am I missing something?

3 REPLIES 3
Ken Herrington
Occasional Advisor

Re: HPSIM 5.3 and enabling SNMP from ESX 3.5 and VirtualCenter

I have been trying to get the same scenario ironed out in my environment, although I am running an earlier version of HPSIM. Try turning on "accept unregistered events" (Options -> Events -> Event Filter Settings) and see if you get a trap from VC after that. I compiled all of the ESX mibs into my SIM system, but for some reason the traps still come in as "unregistered" events. If this is the case for you as well, then at least you know the traps are working, they just aren't translating properly. I turned this off in my environment, as we were getting spammed with unregistered events from VCenter which are useless if the mib isn't working.
kschafer
Advisor

I've done that as well; SIM is setup to accept unregistered events, but it doesn't get anything from the ESX hosts or VC. Both are setup to point to the SIM instance to send snmp traps.

dgerol
Occasional Advisor

Check this VMware KB:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=1008065&sliceId=1

It looks like ESX snmp traps are not being sent by the net-snmp deamon, and you need to use the Remote CLI interface to enable a specific VMware snmp subsystem (!)

I downloaded the RCLI appliance and configured my ESX 3.5 host with the vicfg-snmp commands.

I am now receiving traps from ESX hosts in SIM with an OID of 1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.4.1

Hope this helps...