HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPSIM 5.X not handling a custom SNMP trap correctly

HelpLJ
Occasional Visitor

HPSIM 5.X not handling a custom SNMP trap correctly

I'm sending some windows event log traps to HPSIM which seems to work fine as the long as the trap is not a negative number. My case in point is I have a trap (created with evntwin) setup to send group policy processing errors on XP workstations (applog, source:scecli eventid:1202) to 2 different SNMP mngrs on seperate machines (HPSIM and Trap Receiver). When the xp clients send the trap the value is -2147482446, when Trap receiver gets the trap the value remains unchanged, when HPSIM receives the same trap the value becomes 2147484850. Since this value is not defined in the custom mib it gets displayed as a generic unregistered event in HPSIM. When I change the value in my custom MIB to 2147484850 or -2147482446 and recompile/import with mcompile/mxmib commands the mib cfg file always shows the trap value as -2147482446 though I never see that trap value and always get unregistered events for the client instead. This same custom mib works fine when I import to Trap receiver. Also in the custom mib I have a trap for telnet that has a small postive integer trap value 1001. The telnet trap works correctly on both SNMP mgrs so I'm sure my setup is correct. I know HPSIM has issues with long OIDs (like the ones created by evntwin), does it also have problems with negative integer trap values? I have tried this on HPSIM 5.0 SP4, and 5.2 SP2 with no success....it's frustrating that a freeware snmp monitor is better at using 3rd party mibs then a full blown enterprise product. I can provide code and output if needed. Thx