4080 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPSIM 6.0 not sending email alerts

operator_2
Advisor

HPSIM 6.0 not sending email alerts

Hello,

Following an upgrade of HPSIM to ver 6.0 we no longer receive emails when alerts occur with our managed systems. We can send test emails and these are received successfully as are test SNMP traps sent from managed servers.

I know the path between our SIM server, exchange server and ultimately my mailbox are working.

After exhaustive testing we have yet to receive any emails from the new version, but have tried to recreate the automatic event handling procedures to no avail.

I can see the task being processed but the results stick in pending and do not proceed any further.

All systems are trusted corectly and all community settings and SNMP settings are correct as prior to the version upgrade email alerts worked successfully.

Your advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tony

PS call has also been logged with HP support but I would be interested to learn if anyone else has encountered this problem with version 6.0
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: HPSIM 6.0 not sending email alerts

You may want to check for database locking.
I've not seen this here.
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

1. Try to add a new event automation and check the tasks status of this one after you cereated an test alarm.
2. Are you sure that the email came from SIM.
Think also about OSEM (e.g. Proliants snmptrap) and WEBES (e.g. EVA events)
3. If you also upgraded remote support you no longer have the snmp trap handling done by OSEM it will be done by WEBES. Check the email configuration inside WEBES.
operator_2
Advisor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice so far. I've tried both of the suggestions, I got one of our DBA's to check the database for locks and although there did appear to be some at first once these has been removed and the system rebooted others appeared again so I suspect these were normal.

I've been back in and looked at the WEBES side of things, where would this be set exactly ?

I've been into the SEA side of things and tried to fill in any missing information but this just seems to be repeating settings that I've already put in elsewhere.

Like I've already mentioned everything else seems to work and systems are communicating fine with HPSIM but HPSIM is not sending out emails.

Thanks

Tony
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

If you go to SIM Menu Options-> Events-> Automatic Event Handling -> Email Settings

You are realy able to send the Test Mail to your email address?

I can also guess that your mail gateway is more secure now. Try internal and external destination adresses.

The WEBES mails are activated under https://simserver_name:7906
user name: admin (Your Browser needs java Support) If you click on the yellow Icon (like a warning sign with the red questionmark inside) you can see the email notification link. Notice not all Webes version support the test mail and test event inside WEBES. Try a "wccproxy test" on the command line to see if your email setting for Webes is working.

Nice weekend

BPE
operator_2
Advisor

Hello,

Firstly thanks to all those that replied with suggestions on how to fix this issue (Points have been give out as appropriate).

After performing many of the ideas that were suggested and still having no luck I was all set to perform a reinstall when I stumbled upon the following.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/techsupport.html#6

I thought at least it can't make anything worse so I ran the command. It didn't work instantly but after around 12 hours SIM is now sending out emails again!!!! Still not entirely convinced it was one thing that was causing the problem but this reset command appeared to be the final piece of the puzzle.

Many Thanks Again

Tony
operator_2
Advisor

Closed - Now working
Dave van Nierop
Advisor

I had the same problem after moving to HPSIM 6.1 recently. I eventually got around it by entering the local "hpsim" user and password and checking the requires authentication box - even althought the Exchange server DID NOT require authentication.

Give that a shot. Worked for us!

Dave