1748117 Members
3638 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM 6.2 x64 version on 2008x64 - very slow discovery of servers

Andrew Prior2
Occasional Contributor

HPSIM 6.2 x64 version on 2008x64 - very slow discovery of servers

Installed HPSIM 6.2 (the x64 version) on 2008x64 , server has 16Gb of RAM.
Monitoring approx 2500 servers plus their associated ILOs
Each server has its SNMP properties configured , teh idea being that when taht service is restarted, HPSIM discovers it.
However finding that thsi process is very slow, sometime taking up to 2 days before HPSIM discovers it. Now I can manually discover the host from the CMS itself but don't want to as I would like the process to be automatic. Never had this issue on previous versions 5.2 and 5.3 but finding 6.2 very slow in thsi respect. Although it may have nothing to do with it findig that HPSIm is occupying jsut under 8Gb of RAM on the server.
Has anyone else seen this iss and if so, how did you improve the amoutn of time it took HPSIM to discover the server.
5 REPLIES 5
Arunav Nayak
Valued Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Please tell us more about your environment. Is is consists of only blade servers or DM or ML?

Also, have you discovered any storage servers, sometimes it takes more time to discover servers related to storage.

Thanks,
Arunav Nayak
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Andrew,

Automatic Discovery : The process that HP Systems Insight Manager uses to find and identify systems on your network and populate the database with that information. A system must first be discovered to collect data and track system health status.

Systems Insight Manager can automatically discover and identify systems attached to the network using information from management protocols such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), WBEM, Secure Shell (SSH), and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).

It discovers the system within the specified network range. So make sure you have required ports/security open while executing discovery task. check the ping response.

disable discovery filters

Configure global protocol settings within discovery task.

verify the discovery task settings by clicking on View Task Results.

For more info, please refer to page no. 31 of HP SIM user guide
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02537452/c02537452.pdf

hope this helps,
aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Andrew Prior2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies.
In terms our our environmnet, we have both HP DL servers and some blades although none of the blades are currently in our HPSIM 6.2 environment. We haven't got any storage being monitored by HPSIM 6.2 at this stage.

In terms of discovery, we have 6.2 set up in what appears to be teh same way as our legacy 5.2 and 5.3 systems which are still up and running. previously, simply by making sure that the SNMP properties on teh SNMP serice were set and restarting that service, HPSIm would automatically discover that system with no intervention required.

I have checked that we have 'automatically discover a system when an event is received from it.'We do not have any discovery filters set.
In terms of global protocol settings we have all ticked with the exception of ws-man.
When we started populating out the database, the servers were being automatically picked up but it is now eiterh very slow (ie days) before a system is picked up or not at all.
I don't have any automatic discovery tasks set and didn't need to do that on the previous 5.2 and 5.3 systems.

there are approx 2500 servers in the database now (the majority had to be discovered manually from the CMS to get them in) which is well within the limit of teh x64 6.2 version capabilites (max 5000) so that should nto be the issue. As mentioned previously, surprised that the amount of RAM that HPSIM is occupying is large, don't know whether thats right or or not, just an observation.Stands around 8GB of RAM once its been up and running for a while.
Servers are well specced out with DL385G7, with 16Gb of RAM running 2008 x64.

Docu
Arunav Nayak
Valued Contributor

Hi Andrew,

I have a similar environment and let me see if such issues are present on the same or not.

Once I have more details on the same I will get back to you.

Thanks,
Arunav Nayak
Andrew Prior2
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I mananed to get through to someone in HP who knows HPSIM and they have spotted what the issue is. Essential you need to ensure that on teh SNMP service on the clients, in the security tab, make sure that 'send authenmtication trap' is unchecked. With thsi checked, it causes teh HPSIM server to be overloaded. This could be seen in the msdomainmgr.0 log file which was also growing very large at between 3-4GB and gets recreated everytime you stop and retsart HPSIM.It also explains why the memory usage was so high, msdomainmgr.exe should run using around 1GB of RAM, not 8!